Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Abdul Abdul is offline

Default locking digital signature in Word document

How do i lock a digital signature in a word document
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Abdul wrote:
How do i lock a digital signature in a word document

You can't.

The whole point of applying a digital signature is to indicate that the
document has not been altered since the signature was applied. If anyone
(including the originator) makes any change in the document and saves it,
the signature is automatically removed. If you were the one who first signed
it, you will have to sign it again after the change.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chrispo Chrispo is offline

Hi Jay. This was just the post I came here to find. As you said, if you
make any changes the signature is deleted but what if I create sections?
What I wold like to do is take a document that is several pages and have
several people sign at the end of each page. The signarute applies to the
information that preceedes it. So the person who reads page one, signs and
this attests to page one and whoever reads page 2 wold sign this page. If
it's the same person as page 1 I don't want to have them have to sign page 1
again in addition to page 2. If not I guess my onlly option would be to take
one document and insert the other to make one "master" document? Thanks for
the help. If this should have it's own thread plese let me know. It was so
closely related to the initial post that I figured it would be helpful to
those who search in the future to keep these questions together. Thanks
again, Chris.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Abdul wrote:
How do i lock a digital signature in a word document

You can't.

The whole point of applying a digital signature is to indicate that the
document has not been altered since the signature was applied. If anyone
(including the originator) makes any change in the document and saves it,
the signature is automatically removed. If you were the one who first signed
it, you will have to sign it again after the change.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chrispo Chrispo is offline

I forgot to add that I'm using Word 2002. From browsing the other posts that
seem to indicate the answer to my question is no but I haven't seen anything
that speaks to documents with section breaks. Thanks.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Abdul wrote:
How do i lock a digital signature in a word document

You can't.

The whole point of applying a digital signature is to indicate that the
document has not been altered since the signature was applied. If anyone
(including the originator) makes any change in the document and saves it,
the signature is automatically removed. If you were the one who first signed
it, you will have to sign it again after the change.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You're correct, the answer is no. A digital signature applies to an
entire document, and there's no way to sign just a section or to apply
different signatures to different sections.