westis

Default Form for header, but body being editable

Hi,

I use a document header that looks the same on lots of pages (with info
about author, document title etc.). Can I somehow use a form for this so that
the person entering the information more easily can enter the information
without being able to edit the field titles? I want the body of the document
to be editable.

The header looks like this:

Document title: name
Author: author
Date: date
Version: version
Signatu initials
Page X of Y

I only want the parts within to be editable, so that the person entering
the info simply can click TAB to move between the fields. And as I said, the
body should be editable, as I only want to use a form to make it easier to
fill in the document headers.

Hope I made smyself clear. Thanks! :-)
Big Dave UK

Put that information in it's own section and have the bits as form fields
then use document protection, protecting for forms and checking the sections
containing the header info as the locked ones.

"westis" wrote:

Hi,

I use a document header that looks the same on lots of pages (with info
about author, document title etc.). Can I somehow use a form for this so that
the person entering the information more easily can enter the information
without being able to edit the field titles? I want the body of the document
to be editable.

The header looks like this:

Document title: name

westis

Thanks!

Since I also use fields in the header that are not in Document Properties,
can I insert custom fields that I add to that tab in the document? For
example "Section" or "Accepted by". Because for inserting autotext to a
header there are only a few set options for Header/Footer.

Also, in already existing documents, can I use these custom fields in
Document Properties without having to add them again for every single
document?

Thanks!

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

Use document properties - they've got a ready made form and can be picked up
as fields in the header.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

You can create custom document properties; see the Custom tab of File |
Properties. And you can insert any of these anywhere in a document using the
appropriate DocProperty field (see Insert | Field). If you want the custom
properties available in any document, create them in the document template.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

Use document properties - they've got a ready made form and can be

picked up
as fields in the header.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Charles Kenyon

Answered in-line below.

But first, if the information will appear in your document body, you can
have it reflected automatically in the header/footer (or elsewhere) using a
StyleRef field.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...PlusHeader.htm
and http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...rd97Header.htm
(regardless of the version of Word you are using).

"westis" wrote in message
Thanks!

Since I also use fields in the header that are not in Document Properties,
can I insert custom fields that I add to that tab in the document? For
example "Section" or "Accepted by". Because for inserting autotext to a
header there are only a few set options for Header/Footer.

You can add things to the Header/footer AutoText toolbar. Simply add the
info you want to your AutoText entries making sure that when you add the
text it is formatted with the Header style. Likewise, you can add your own
custom document properties. Fields to display them can be added to your
AutoText.

Also, in already existing documents, can I use these custom fields in
Document Properties without having to add them again for every single
document?

No. Each document will have to be edited. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/BatchFR.htm for a macro that cycles
through every document in a directory to do a Find and Replace. You could
modify this to insert the properties and header items you want.

Thanks!

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

Use document properties - they've got a ready made form and can be picked
up
as fields in the header.

--
Enjoy,