Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glen Glen is offline

Default how to add a keyboard shortcut to |Drawing|Group|

Hello,

What have I missed?

I want to add keyboard shortcuts to the |Drawing|Group| and
|Drawing|Ungroup| commands - Ctrl+G and Ctrl+Shift+G, respectively. However,
I can't find these menu commands anywhere in the
|Tools|Customise|Commands|Keyboard| dialogue. Am I looking in the wrong
place, or are they not available for shortcuts?

I'm sure I have added these shortcuts on another PC, and I'm sure it had
Word2003 too.

Thanks,

Glen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

DrawGroup and DrawUngroup are the commands you seek.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Glen" wrote in message
Hello,

What have I missed?

I want to add keyboard shortcuts to the |Drawing|Group| and
|Drawing|Ungroup| commands - Ctrl+G and Ctrl+Shift+G, respectively.
However,
I can't find these menu commands anywhere in the
|Tools|Customise|Commands|Keyboard| dialogue. Am I looking in the wrong
place, or are they not available for shortcuts?

I'm sure I have added these shortcuts on another PC, and I'm sure it had
Word2003 too.

Thanks,

Glen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glen Glen is offline

I figured it had to be something like that but I can't find them. I tried
looking in both the Drawing category list and the All Commands list (on the
Customize Keyboard dialogue).

Have you ever had that feeling when you can't find your car keys and you've
looked everywhere you can imagine? And then your wife starts rolling her
eyes?

Cheers,

Glen

"Glen" wrote in message
Hello,

What have I missed?

I want to add keyboard shortcuts to the |Drawing|Group| and
|Drawing|Ungroup| commands - Ctrl+G and Ctrl+Shift+G, respectively.
However,
I can't find these menu commands anywhere in the
|Tools|Customise|Commands|Keyboard| dialogue. Am I looking in the wrong
place, or are they not available for shortcuts?

I'm sure I have added these shortcuts on another PC, and I'm sure it had
Word2003 too.

Thanks,

Glen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you saying that you still can't find them? Or, am I misunderstanding?

If you still can't find them, try this. In a document that has groupable
objects selected:

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+plus sign on the number pad. The mouse pointer becomes a
cloverleaf.

2. Using the cloverleaf pointer, right-cick the selection and choose
Grouping - Group. This will display the Customize Keyboard dialog.

3. Press the shortcut key you want to use (Ctrl+G), and click Assign -
Close.

4. Press Ctrl+G to group the obejcts.

Repeat this, choosing Ungroup in step 2 and Ctrl+Shift+G in step 3.

The "cloverleaf" trick is a great way to discover the names of elusive
commands. It won't help with car keys, though. ;-)

Cheers,

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Glen" wrote in message
Hello,

What have I missed?

I want to add keyboard shortcuts to the |Drawing|Group| and
|Drawing|Ungroup| commands - Ctrl+G and Ctrl+Shift+G, respectively.
However,
I can't find these menu commands anywhere in the
|Tools|Customise|Commands|Keyboard| dialogue. Am I looking in the
wrong
place, or are they not available for shortcuts?

I'm sure I have added these shortcuts on another PC, and I'm sure it
had
Word2003 too.

Thanks,

Glen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glen Glen is offline

Hey, that's handy. That was definitely my "Learn something new everyday" for
today. Thanks.

Even after I having assigned the shortcuts to DrawGroup and DrawUngroup, I
still can't find them in the customize keyboard dialogue. DrawingUnselect is
there but no DrawingUngroup.

However, problem solved, so I am happy.

Thanks,

Glen

"Glen" wrote in message
Hello,

What have I missed?

I want to add keyboard shortcuts to the |Drawing|Group| and
|Drawing|Ungroup| commands - Ctrl+G and Ctrl+Shift+G, respectively.
However,
I can't find these menu commands anywhere in the
|Tools|Customise|Commands|Keyboard| dialogue. Am I looking in the
wrong
place, or are they not available for shortcuts?

I'm sure I have added these shortcuts on another PC, and I'm sure it
had
Word2003 too.

Thanks,

Glen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Because I always use the cloverleaf method, I'd never noticed the absence of
those commands in the raw Customize Keyboard dialog.

I checked in Word 2007, and you'll be delighted to know that they *are* in
the raw Customize Keyboard dialog there. In fact, there are zillions of
Draw* commands that show up in Word 2007's Customize Keyboard dialog that
don't show up in Word 2003's. So, I guess that's a bug or two that will be
fixed when folks upgrade.

Cheers,

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Glen" wrote in message
Hello,

What have I missed?

I want to add keyboard shortcuts to the |Drawing|Group| and
|Drawing|Ungroup| commands - Ctrl+G and Ctrl+Shift+G, respectively.
However,
I can't find these menu commands anywhere in the
|Tools|Customise|Commands|Keyboard| dialogue. Am I looking in the
wrong
place, or are they not available for shortcuts?

I'm sure I have added these shortcuts on another PC, and I'm sure it
had
Word2003 too.

Thanks,

Glen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Not sure if this helps you at all, but Alt R, U will ungroup and Alt R, G
will group selected drawing objects.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP