Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Reg

Default I want text from the cells in one table repeated in other tables

Hi everyone.

I have a document with 4 tables. I'll call them T_1, T_2, T_3 & T_4.
Imaginitive, I know !

T_1, cells B1, C1, D1 & E1 (B1:E1) have text in them.

I would like the text in cell B1 of T_1 to appear in cell A2 of T_2, T_3 &
T_4.
I would like the text in cell C1 of T_1 to appear in cell A3 of T_2, T_3 &
T_4.
I would like the text in cell D1 of T_1 to appear in cell A4 of T_2, T_3 &
T_4.
I would like the text in cell E1 of T_1 to appear in cell A5 of T_2, T_3 & T_4

This document will get used many times and the contents of T_1, cells B1:E1
will be overwritten each time the document is used, maybe even deleted by
some users when they use the document.

I did make this work by putting text in the cells T_1 B1:E1 and using 4
different bookmarks to bookmark the text in these 4 cells and then using a
REF field in the appropriate cells of the other 3 tables. It worked until I
deleted the text in T_1 B1:E1 when I went to re-use the document. If the
text in the cell is deleted when trying re-use the document, the bookmark is
lost and the "REF" field doesn't work.

I need a way to identify the content of cells B1:E1 in T_1, rather than the
specific text in the cells.

Formulae can do this using (T_1 B1) but this only seems to work for numeric
entries in the cells. I want to be able to use a reference like this when
the contents of the cell is text.

I tried using the "Table" type in Cross-reference hoping it would allow me
to identify the contents of a cell but I can't find a description of how it
works and I can't make it work by hacking.

This seems trivial and it's driving me crazy. Funnily enough , Excel, the
application designed to work with numbers, does this easily, but Word, the
application designed to work with text, doesn't seem to have a simple
mechanism for achieving this !

If you have any ideas how to make this work, I sure would like to hear from
you.

Thanks.