Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dhogan dhogan is offline

Default Outline Numbered Style - Template - Converting Docs

I am using Word 2003, converting existing Word docs (technical
documentation guides) to new styles - in a new template that I defined.
I am using outline numbered headings and followed Shauna Kelly's
instructions for outline numbered styles. I have also become
well-versed with the Organizer and attaching a template to an existing
Word doc.

The new template and styles (outline numbered) work just fine in the
first guide that I converted. However, work on the 2nd guide has been
frustrating. I attached the new template to my existing doc - in order
to acquire the new styles. The outline numbered styles were
inconsistent - not working as in the first guide. I noticed that
numbering would suddenly change as I was working in the document. If I
closed the file and re-opened - then the numbering would snap back to
what it should be. I felt like I had to continue to wake up Word in
order for my numbering to work. I also tried FormatStyles and
FormattingModifyOK - would not change anything - just used it as a
way to "wake up" Word and apply the correct numbering. This method was
faster than closing and opening the doc.

I have been researching this problem and found something interesting in
my Word 2002 reference "When you customize a numbering scheme, the
scheme is only good in the document in which you are working."

I assumed that if you create a style and save in a separate template
and then apply that new template to an existing doc - the style
definition would be intact and not change. I do realize that outline
numbered styles are very difficult - but I thought I had conquered
them!

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you don't get a satisfactory answer here, please post to
microsoft.public.word.numbering.docs, where the numbering experts hang out.
I know I've been told that numbered styles can cause problems when templates
are attached or styles are copied with the Organizer (you may need to copy
them three times).

oups.com...