steve

Default How to absolutely fix position of objects?

I want to absolutely fix the position of an inserted object on a particular
page. No matter what text etc is inserted above it I want it to stay exactly
in the same position. But can't achieve this...

In Format Object / Layout / Advanced, text wrapping is Square, Left only,
and Picture Position has Absolute position specified (both horizontal and
vertical), with Page selected. All the Options are unchecked (Move object
with text, Lock anchor and Allow overlap).

But the behaviour is that the object's anchor still moves with the text as
more text is inserted above it. And the object stays put until the anchor
flicks over to the next page, at which point the object flicks over the page
too.

How do I keep the object exactly where I want it... same position and same
page?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to absolutely fix position of objects?

To absolutely fix the position of an object in Microsoft Word, you can follow these steps:
  1. Insert the object you want to fix in its desired position on the page.
  2. Right-click on the object and select "Format Object."
  3. In the "Layout" tab, select "Advanced."
  4. Under "Text Wrapping," select "Square."
  5. Under "Picture Position," select "Absolute position."
  6. Choose "Page" for both horizontal and vertical positions.
  7. Uncheck all the options under "Options."
  8. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

If the object still moves with the text, try these additional steps:
  1. Click on the object to select it.
  2. Click on the "Layout Options" icon that appears next to the object.
  3. Select "Lock Anchor" from the drop-down menu.
  4. Save the document.

This should fix the position of the object and prevent it from moving with the text. If you want to move the object to a different position, you can simply drag it to the desired location and it will stay fixed in that position.
__________________
CyberTaz

Hi Steve-

The one thing I would definitely change - assuming you didn't mistype - is
to put a check in the box for Lock Anchor. I also prefer 'relative to Margin'
instead of Page, but either should provide a comparable result. Word has
historically been quirky with regard to keeping graphic objects where they
belong when other than In Line with Text. That's why I prefer layout
programs... even Publisher does a better job.

Regards |:)

"steve" wrote:

I want to absolutely fix the position of an inserted object on a particular
page. No matter what text etc is inserted above it I want it to stay exactly
in the same position. But can't achieve this...

In Format Object / Layout / Advanced, text wrapping is Square, Left only,
and Picture Position has Absolute position specified (both horizontal and
vertical), with Page selected. All the Options are unchecked (Move object
with text, Lock anchor and Allow overlap).

But the behaviour is that the object's anchor still moves with the text as
more text is inserted above it. And the object stays put until the anchor
flicks over to the next page, at which point the object flicks over the page
too.

How do I keep the object exactly where I want it... same position and same
page?

CyberTaz

Any wrapped object must be anchored to a paragraph on the same page; if the
paragraph to which it is anchored moves to another page, it will go with it.

No question about it... that's one reason why I prefer word processors for
copy & layout apps for layout :}

I would think that locking the anchor would exacerbate the problem.

Actually, it's six of one - half dozen of another, either way you get egg
roll. I guess I should have gone on to explain my reasoning. Prior to the
advent of Browse by Graphic I got in the habit of locking anchors to prevent
others from moving them. By knowing what the graphics _should_ be anchored to
it made them easier to locate using Find

I want to absolutely fix the position of an inserted object on a

particular
page

Perhaps the reply should have read simply "No, you can't", since Word
doesn't really know what a 'page' is?

Best Regards |:)