Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Flopbot Flopbot is offline

Default Insert Database doesn't "see" half my queries?

I am trying to insert a database€ť from Access 03 into Word 03 using the
database toolbar in word. When I click €śInsert Database€ť in word, and then
browse for my query, the wizard doesnt €śsee€ť any of the queries in which I
changed a field name (ex. Dept: Department). Does anyone know a workaround
for this? Right now, its only showing about half my queries which is a
little odd. Is there a different way to insert my database?

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you check Word Tools-Options-General-"Confirm conversion at open"
and go through the whole insertion process again, after you have
selected the database you should see an additional dialog box titled
"Confirm Data Source". Select the DDE option in there, and you should
then see all the queries (make sure you look in the Query tab!).
However, for that to work, Word has to ensure that Access itself is open
(otherwise, Word can just use the database engine and Access does not
have to be running).

The default option is OLE DB, which does not "see" certain types of
query. However, I suspect the problem is not the fact that you are
changing the names (although that would be a new wrinkle) - more likely
that the queries that you cannot see are parameter queries, because OLE
DB definitely does not see those. Or they could be queries that contain
financial series functions, or various other types of query.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 23/04/2010 01:19, Flopbot wrote:
I am trying to insert a database€ť from Access 03 into Word 03 using the
database toolbar in word. When I click €śInsert Database€ť in word, and then
browse for my query, the wizard doesnt €śsee€ť any of the queries in which I
changed a field name (ex. Dept: Department). Does anyone know a workaround
for this? Right now, its only showing about half my queries which is a
little odd. Is there a different way to insert my database?

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Flopbot Flopbot is offline

Thank you Peter!

That worked perfectly. Its amazing how many little settings exist!

Chris

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That worked perfectly. Its amazing how many little settings exist!

Yes!

[BTW, nothing to be concerned about now, but if at some point you update
to Word 2007, and you use Insert-Database a lot, certainly if you use
the facility to insert the database as an updateable field, be aware
that you won't be able to use the DDE connection method to insert an
updateable DATABASE field populated from Access. At the very least, it
isn't obvious how to do it]

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk