Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JB3

Default How do I add a header onto my second page?

I need to add a header to my second page only but I can only seem to add it
to both pages. Also, it is not allowing me to add page numbers to my second
page only.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I add a header onto my second page?

Sure, I can help you with that! Here's how you can add a header to your second page only:
  1. First, make sure you're on the first page of your document.
  2. Double-click on the header area of the page (the top margin area) to open the Header & Footer Tools tab.
  3. On the Design tab, in the Options group, select "Different First Page". This will allow you to have a different header on the first page.
  4. Now, go to the second page of your document.
  5. Double-click on the header area of the second page to open the Header & Footer Tools tab.
  6. On the Design tab, in the Navigation group, select "Link to Previous" to turn it off. This will allow you to have a different header on the second page.
  7. Now you can add your header to the second page. You can insert text, images, or any other elements you want to include in the header.
  8. If you want to add page numbers to the second page only, go to the second page and double-click on the footer area (the bottom margin area).
  9. On the Design tab, in the Navigation group, select "Link to Previous" to turn it off. This will allow you to have different page numbers on the second page.
  10. Now you can insert page numbers into the footer of the second page.

That's it! You should now have a different header on the second page and page numbers on the second page only. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

In order to add a header to the second page only you must insert a Next Page
Section break. Then you can click on View | Header and Footer and on that
toolbar click on Same as Previous to unlink it from the first page of your
document. You can then enter the text for your second page header and click
on Close. I hope this has been helpful to you.

"JB3" wrote:

I need to add a header to my second page only but I can only seem to add it
to both pages. Also, it is not allowing me to add page numbers to my second
page only.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kim

The easiest way to get a header on pages 2 and on but on on the first page of
your document is to do the following:

Click on FILE
Click on PAGE SETUP
Click on LAYOUT TAB (Word 2003)
Check mark where it says Header/Footer Different First Page
OK out of that window

Now, you can go into the header of page 2 and put what ever you want and it
should not show up on page one.

"JB3" wrote:

I need to add a header to my second page only but I can only seem to add it
to both pages. Also, it is not allowing me to add page numbers to my second
page only.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is NOT correct. The correct way is to enable "Different first page."
Then use the Header for the second and subsequent pages and the First Page
Header for page 1 only.

"JB3" wrote:

I need to add a header to my second page only but I can only seem to add

it
to both pages. Also, it is not allowing me to add page numbers to my

second
page only.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne Troy

Hi, Carol. You're right if your "front matter" is more than one page, but if
it's only one page, then Different first page would be the way to go,
usually. I often do NOT use the different first page setting because it gets
confusing for most users later in the document if they insert a new section
because the second section automatically has the different first page layout
as well. So, personally, I'd use what you have suggested.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"JB3" wrote:

I need to add a header to my second page only but I can only seem to add
it
to both pages. Also, it is not allowing me to add page numbers to my
second
page only.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Well I guess I have egg on my face! I wasn't thinking in terms of letterhead
and such and of course, you are absolutely correct Suzanne! I guess I was a
little to quick on the draw; should have thought it through a bit more.
Thanks for setting me straight. Have a great weekend!

"JB3" wrote:

I need to add a header to my second page only but I can only seem to add

it
to both pages. Also, it is not allowing me to add page numbers to my

second
page only.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Anne says, there are cases where a section break is required (and easier
to deal with), but in most cases where users just want to omit the header on
the first page (often a title page), "Different first page" is the way to
go.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is NOT correct. The correct way is to enable "Different first

page."
Then use the Header for the second and subsequent pages and the First

Page
Header for page 1 only.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.