Loren Smith

Default Lock image in place

Is it possible to lock an image in place so it won't be accidentally
selected and moved during text editing? If so, would someone be
willing to share this technique?

Thank you,
Loren
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Lock image in place

Hi Loren,

Yes, it is definitely possible to lock an image in place in Microsoft Word. This is a great way to ensure that your images stay in the exact position you want them to be in, even if you're editing text around them.

Here are the steps to lock an image in place:
  1. Select the image you want to lock in place.
  2. Click on the "Format" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. In the "Arrange" group, click on the "Position" dropdown menu.
  4. Select "More Layout Options" at the bottom of the dropdown menu.
  5. In the "Layout" tab of the "Advanced Layout" dialog box, check the box next to "Lock anchor."
  6. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

Now your image is locked in place and cannot be accidentally selected or moved during text editing. If you need to move the image later, simply go back to the "Position" dropdown menu and uncheck the "Lock anchor" box.
__________________
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Loren,

Is it possible to lock an image in place so it won't be accidentally
selected and moved during text editing? If so, would someone be
willing to share this technique?

No, Word doesn't support locking images in this manner. Depending on
exactly what you're doing, one of the following approaches might help:

1. Put the image behind the text (only works if text or a table is
covering it)

2. Insert the image while in the header/footer view. (only useful on a
one-page document, or in a one-page section, or if it's the first page
of a document or section)

3. Anchor the image in a section protected as a form. (protecting a
document as a form will lock out some editing tools)

4. If this is Word 2003, you can unprotect everything except the first
character and paragraph mark of the paragraph to which the graphic is
anchored, using the new "Read-Only" protection.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Loren Smith

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:34:34 +0200, Cindy M -WordMVP-
wrote:

Hi Loren,

[...]

Thank you Cindy.

I was hesitant to use the header idea because when I did so, then
looked at print preview, the image was slightly washed out. Since you
suggested it though, I went ahead and printed out a copy and found out
that the washout was only in the print preview.

I also appreciate suggestions 3 and 4. I had thought about doing
something along the lines of #3, but haven't had much experience
making forms. #4 is totally new to me and looks like something that I
am going to want to tinker with.

Thanks again,
Loren