Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
preeto preeto is offline

Default Versioning,creating web pages in Word 2007

Hi,
I have been trying to understand the versioning feature in word 2007 for
quite sometime now.I understand that Windows Sharepoint server is an absolute
necessity to use versioning.But from what i have seen,it looks like it can be
accessed only at the server end and the max the user can do from his end
(i.e. the client end) is to publish the document in the server.Is there any
other alternative for the user to access Versioning??

I also noticed that creating web pages,inserting pictures in them,etc.
are again created at the server end.Is there an alternative for the same to
be done at the client end.

I would really appreciate a quick response for my query.Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Preeto,

I'm not sure that I'm following you when you refer to being accessed at the server end. The Sharepoint 2007 collaboration and
document management tools are designed to be worked through Word or severably.

MS Office Sharepoint Designer 2007 is the tool to create sharepoint sites and pages on sites.

MS Office Word 2007 can still provide Save as Web Page, pretty much unchanged from the Word 2003 version.

Perhaps you can elaborate a bit on your scenario as it relates to what you'd like to do from inside of Word 2007.

================

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
preeto preeto is offline

Hi Bob,
I seem to understand that versioning and creating web pages can be
done only in that particular system where the sharepoint server's installed
and thats precisely what i mean when i say "accessed at the server end".If
versioning has to be implemented I would like to know whether versioning and
creating web pages can be done from within Word 2007.
In word 2007,a document can only be saved as a web page.Can i
insert a movie clip,create a frame for a web page and apply themes for a web
page using Word 2007?or can it only be done through the share point server? I
noticed that pictures can be inserted in web pages using share point
server.Is that the only feature which is still valid?

I really appreciate your help.Thanks a lot!

"preeto" wrote in message ...
Hi,
I have been trying to understand the versioning feature in word 2007 for
quite sometime now.I understand that Windows Sharepoint server is an absolute
necessity to use versioning.But from what i have seen,it looks like it can be
accessed only at the server end and the max the user can do from his end
(i.e. the client end) is to publish the document in the server.Is there any
other alternative for the user to access Versioning??

I also noticed that creating web pages,inserting pictures in them,etc. are again created at the server end.Is there an
alternative for the same to be done at the client end.

I would really appreciate a quick response for my query.Thanks in advance!
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Preeto,

Well, I'm still not sure I'm following you correctly

The old File=Versions feature is gone from Word 2007. Document management and version control at that level is provided in the MS
Office 2007 Sharepoint Server with Windows Sharepoint Services v3 and you may want to use the link below to check with the folks in
the Sharepoint group.

Collaborative document management is done by checkin/checkout to to a sharepoint library or other document management product
(See File Button=Word Options=Save=Offline editing options...

I haven't tested Sharepoint libraries using Word produced .HTM rather than .doc or .docx files. Word 2007s feature set and
capabilities are basically unchanged from the 2003 version (i.e. MS isn't working on improving or enhancing that feature set). You
can still insert links and apply pre-2007 Themes (Themes have a new meaning and implementation in Office 2007) and you can do frames
in Word 2007, but it's not an easy to maintain file approach.

For doing web pages you may want to look at two of the 2007 Microsoft Offerings, (MS Office Frontpage split into two targeted
products)

MS Office 2007 Sharepoint Designer - for sharepoint site mgmt
http://office.microsoft.com/sharepointdesigner
MS Expression Web - for non-sharepoint website work
http://microsoft.com/expression

============
"preeto" wrote in message ...
Hi Bob,
I seem to understand that versioning and creating web pages can be
done only in that particular system where the sharepoint server's installed
and thats precisely what i mean when i say "accessed at the server end".If
versioning has to be implemented I would like to know whether versioning and
creating web pages can be done from within Word 2007.
In word 2007,a document can only be saved as a web page.Can i
insert a movie clip,create a frame for a web page and apply themes for a web
page using Word 2007?or can it only be done through the share point server? I
noticed that pictures can be inserted in web pages using share point
server.Is that the only feature which is still valid?

I really appreciate your help.Thanks a lot!
--
Please let us know if this has helped,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

LINKS
A. Specific newsgroup/discussion group mentioned in this message:
or via browser:
http://microsoft.com/communities/new...lic.sharepoint

B. MS Office Community discussion/newsgroups via Web Browser
http://microsoft.com/office/communit...s/default.mspx
or
Microsoft hosted newsgroups via Outlook Express/newsreader

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
preeto preeto is offline

Hi Bob,
I want to know if we can compare and merge versions of a document
in Share point ? I know that there is a feature in Word for comparing and
combining document changes.Is it the option i use for comparing and merging
versions of a document or is it valid only for document changes.
I would like to know if i can insert movie clips using Sharepoint?
If i can, could you please give me the procedural steps to go about it in
Sharepoint.I was unable to apply Themes to a word document which i saved in
the html format.Could you please give me the procedural steps to go about
that? and i never found an option to create a framed web page in Word 2007.

I really appreciate your help in this regard. :-) Thanks in advance!