Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lsagar lsagar is offline

Default Paragraph numbering

Through Word 2003 I had paragraph numbering down pat. In 2007 that has all
changed for some reason. WHy?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?bHNhZ2Fy?=,

Through Word 2003 I had paragraph numbering down pat. In 2007 that has all
changed for some reason.

In what way has it changed that is "throwing you off"?

The mechanics behind the numbering, and the dialog boxes, haven't changed
appreciably...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lsagar lsagar is offline

I set up the numbering so that I could press a key combination and it would
work perfectly. Now the same thing starts a new sequence from 1 everytime I
press it. I have to set up another combination to continue the but and even
then it is fiddly (I have to use the mouse to finish off).

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?bHNhZ2Fy?=,

Through Word 2003 I had paragraph numbering down pat. In 2007 that has all
changed for some reason.

In what way has it changed that is "throwing you off"?

The mechanics behind the numbering, and the dialog boxes, haven't changed
appreciably...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Isagar,

I set up the numbering so that I could press a key combination and it would
work perfectly. Now the same thing starts a new sequence from 1 everytime I
press it. I have to set up another combination to continue the but and even
then it is fiddly (I have to use the mouse to finish off).

Well, that's vague enough... Can you be any more specific about what the key
combination did? Did you ever work with numbering STYLES?

Through Word 2003 I had paragraph numbering down pat. In 2007 that has all
changed for some reason.

In what way has it changed that is "throwing you off"?

The mechanics behind the numbering, and the dialog boxes, haven't changed
appreciably...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lsagar lsagar is offline

Hi Cindy

Thanks for attmepting to answer my question and I apologise if I was vague.
One of teh problems is that I worked out my numbering system some time ago (I
believe in Word 1997) and have been using it since. It took me some time to
work out and I cannot remember exactly how it worked. But I shall try: here
goes.

It uses numbering styles and the key combination applied a paragraph style
that I called "Numbers", which used a multilvel numbering style that I had
set up. Using the tab key would go to the next level, etc. There had been a
problem in that, if I pressed the key combination after another paragraph
style intervened (usually a Heading style), it restarted at 1, but in one of
the Word releases that was corrected. So, in Word 2003 I can use the
numbering, place a heading in the text and then press the key combination
again and the numbering continues beautifully.

Now what happens is that whenever I press the key combination it applies a
style, as before, inserts a numbered paragraph, but restarts the style at 1.
I have set up another key comination that invokes
"FormatBulletsAndNumbering", which also inserts a numbered paragraph, but
includes a small icon to the left, with a lightning bolt in it, and this
allows me to continue the numbering.

I have tried to add some detail and I hope that I have not jumbled up the
sense of it in the process.

Leigh Sagar

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Isagar,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?bHNhZ2Fy?=,

OK... I have some trouble with the styles part but...

In order to get what you describe, I'm assuming you did something like this:
Create the paragraph style. Go into Bullets and Numbering and associate the
style with the Level 1. Since Word has no other information for the other
levels, it continues to apply "Numbers" to all list levels. In any case, this
gives me the behavior you describe in Word 2003.

If I use the technique described above, it also works in Word 2007. Possibly, if
you're bringing forward your old Normal.dot template, there's some "gook" in it
that's making things behave differently. Numbering moving up through Word
versions has a nasty tendency to do that.

Try this in a new document:
1. Display the Styles and Formatting task pane (click the little button at the
bottom right of the Styles group in the Home tab).

2. Display "Manage Styles" (third button at the bottom of the task pane)

3. Click "New Style" and define your paragraph style (no numbering)

4. From the Paragraph group in the Home tab, click the arrow beside the
"Multilevel list" button.

5. Choose "Define New Multilevel List".

6. You should recognize this dialog box, although it's been re-arranged a bit.
Click the "More" button. Make sure Level 1 is selected at the left.

7. From the "Link level to style" choose your paragraph style.

Now test by typing some text and applying styles. On my installation, when I
change to a Heading style, then later apply "Numbers", the numbering continues.

If you still don't see this, close Word and rename Normal.dot to NormalOLD.dot.
Start Word again so that it generates a new copy of Normal.dot and test again.