Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Chuck is offline

Default Can't highlight text with mouse

I just switched to Word as part of Office (from Lotus Word Pro), and I can't
use the mouse or the touchpad in a document to highlight text or insert the
cursor into any part of the text. I also can't use the mouse when making
replies in Outlook, unless I turn off using Word for Outlook.

The mouse and touchpad both work in the Word toolbar and Word Help. It
works in Word Pro and in other Office products like Excel and Publisher. The
mouse also works in the same version of Word on someone else's computer in my
office.

I have a new HP laptop and Office is newly installed . . it did not come
with the laptop.

I assume that it may be a setting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Chuck:

I think you've got me stuped. The only thing I can think of is that the
Protect Document attribute has somehow gotten turned on.

Go to the Tools menu and see if "Unprotect Document" is available at the
top? If it is, click it.

Otherwise: sorry, I haven't a clue...

On the Help menu in Word, you will find a Detect and Repair option. That
would be my last resort: it will ask for the Office CD, so make sure you
have one handy...

Cheers

On 16/8/06 10:02 AM, in article
, "Chuck"
wrote:

I just switched to Word as part of Office (from Lotus Word Pro), and I can't
use the mouse or the touchpad in a document to highlight text or insert the
cursor into any part of the text. I also can't use the mouse when making
replies in Outlook, unless I turn off using Word for Outlook.

The mouse and touchpad both work in the Word toolbar and Word Help. It
works in Word Pro and in other Office products like Excel and Publisher. The
mouse also works in the same version of Word on someone else's computer in my
office.

I have a new HP laptop and Office is newly installed . . it did not come
with the laptop.

I assume that it may be a setting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Chuck is offline

Hi John,

Thanks for responding. It appears to me that the Protect Document attribute
is not turned on. I still can not use the mouse inside of the document.

By the way, the mouse pointer has four small lines to the upper-right of the
pointer. It is not the normal "test select" cursor that looks like a capital
"I" which I see when I'm typing the text in this reply.

I tried a new driver for the mouse. But then other functions stopped
working. This mouse works in Word on another computer.

Do you think there could be a conflict between the mouse and touchpad?

Thanks again for your help.

Chuck

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It sounds as if you have Click and Type enabled (Tools | Options | Edit).

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread. Please do not

email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Chuck is offline

Thanks Suzanne.

I disabled Click and Type, which made the lines next to the mouse pointer go
away.

But I still can not insert the mouse pointer into any text in the document.
I also can not highlight text so that I can cut and paste.

Any other ideas.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It certainly sounds as if the document is protected, but if you've
eliminated that possibility (Unprotect Document is not available on the
Tools menu), then let's back up a bit. Is this problem with Word documents
in general or just a specific document? If the latter, what is the origin of
this document? Is it possible that it is a scanned image of text rather than
actual text?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds as if you have Click and Type enabled (Tools | Options |

Edit).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Chuck is offline

Suzanne -

It seems like a general Word problem. I started a new document and typed
something in. I then tried to insert the mouse pointer and highlight the
text. But the mouse would not work. Also, the touchpad would not work.

I can delete the type using backspace and delete. I can move the
pointer/cursor with my arrow keys.

I have the same problem in Outlook if I check the box under Options/Mail
Format/ Message Format that says "Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit
email messages."

Would it have anything to do with other security settings or Administrative
privileges? I am on a network at work.

Perhaps it is some sort of conflict between the touchpad and mouse?

Thanks for you patience on this one.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Perhaps it is some sort of conflict between the touchpad and mouse?

If you're using a mouse with a laptop that also has a touchpad, then I would
say this is a very real possibility. It could also have to do with using the
wrong drivers for the mouse or the mouse being incompatible in some other
way. That's where I'd start looking, anyway.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] asiansinc.com@gmail.com is offline

I have this same problem on my laptop, a Sony Vaio VGN-TX610P.

I am not using an additional mouse, only the laptop's touchpad.

This would seem to be a Word problem, since I am having the additional
problem of being unable to open Word documents by clicking on them
within folders. Word itself will open up, but the file will not open.
There is no problem opening up the file from within Word.

I have tried Repairing, I have tried winword /r, all to no avail.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] asiansinc.com@gmail.com is offline

Sorry -- forgot to add that this happens to all Word documents, whether
created by myself or not, and that I am not on a network.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] mcgraw.jt@gmail.com is offline

I am starting to see this issue on several PC's on our network. This is
affecting PC's not laptops here so I don't think mouse drivers are the
issue. Yes it is only Word and it happens on every new document that is
created. We have uninstalled / installed, repaired, patched Office,
rebuilt "normal.dot", to no avail. The only fix we have found so far
that works is to remove the users logon profile and log them in again
to build a new one. Different users on the same PC may not experience
this issue at the same time, which shows it is some file or config
setting that is in each users profile somewhere, but which one and
where? Rebuilding the logon profile is time consuming and troublesome.
Anyone who may know what files to manipulate (for Word) in the logon
profiles would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

John