A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » Mailmerge
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Mail Merge not running properly from Access Function but runs properly when opened manually



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 17th 05, 11:09 PM
Brian Alley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Mail Merge not running properly from Access Function but runs properly when opened manually

Here's the deal:
All of this is using the Office 2000 Suite.
We've got an Access db in which we've got a button setup to open a
particular document in Word and populate the Word document with information
from a query contained in the db.

Once the document opens, the access query runs and populates the document
via Mail Merge. The problem lies in that when you use the button to open
the document, the results of the query aren't "refreshed" into the document.
(It pulls old data - one record set in particular over and over and over
again). If you go and look at where it's pulling the information from in
Access, the record set that the document is referring to isn't listed. We
have a query setup to pull the desired information and the Word document
just looks at the qry when it opens. If you look at the qry results before
opening the document via the button, it contains the current information.

If, however, you go and manually open the document, you get an alert that
the query needs to run for proper use of the document. After allowing the
document to run the query, the document is then properly populated with the
correct information.

I've gone around and around. From what I can tell, the problem lies in the
word document as we're simply calling a function to open the document with
the desired filename. The qry is pulling the correct info before and after
opening the document - its just that the document isn't populating itself w/
the query results when its opened via the code in access.

Thanks for the help!




Ads
  #2  
Old February 22nd 05, 12:58 AM
Doug Robbins
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'd guess that there is something wrong with your Access procedure.

Take a look at the "Super easy Word merge" item on fellow MVP Albert
Kallal's website at:

http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn.../msaccess.html



--
Please respond to the Newsgroup for the benefit of others who may be
interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Brian Alley" BAlley atctsinetdotcom wrote in message
...
Here's the deal:
All of this is using the Office 2000 Suite.
We've got an Access db in which we've got a button setup to open a
particular document in Word and populate the Word document with
information from a query contained in the db.

Once the document opens, the access query runs and populates the document
via Mail Merge. The problem lies in that when you use the button to open
the document, the results of the query aren't "refreshed" into the
document. (It pulls old data - one record set in particular over and over
and over again). If you go and look at where it's pulling the information
from in Access, the record set that the document is referring to isn't
listed. We have a query setup to pull the desired information and the
Word document just looks at the qry when it opens. If you look at the qry
results before opening the document via the button, it contains the
current information.

If, however, you go and manually open the document, you get an alert that
the query needs to run for proper use of the document. After allowing the
document to run the query, the document is then properly populated with
the correct information.

I've gone around and around. From what I can tell, the problem lies in the
word document as we're simply calling a function to open the document with
the desired filename. The qry is pulling the correct info before and
after opening the document - its just that the document isn't populating
itself w/ the query results when its opened via the code in access.

Thanks for the help!






 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mail merge not working properly Diane Hazen Mailmerge 10 August 22nd 05 07:58 PM
mail merge with attachments AS Mailmerge 5 April 9th 05 09:49 AM
Web-Site-based Word Mail Merge & Access DB Alex Maghen Mailmerge 3 January 17th 05 09:52 PM
mail merge and access query DaveAS Mailmerge 6 January 6th 05 06:33 PM
Word mail merge with Access Linda Mailmerge 1 December 7th 04 11:46 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.