Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Massfeller

Default MS Works Document Question......

Good Morning - I have a dell computer, about 2 years old, with Windows XP
and Office 2003.
A friend is sends me documents occasionally ending with .wps, which is
Microsoft Works, I believe...
Problem is I can't open the document. I've tried changing to .doc, but that
doesn't work.
Should my Word program be able to open these documents??
Or, do I have to buy another program?

Thanks.................................. TOM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Massfeller

I've found instructions for installing the file format converter to convert
from Works to Word, using Add or Remove Programs, but I keep getting an
error, "The installation source for this program is not available. Verify
that the source exists and is available."
I've inserted the MS Office disk, and click OK on the error, but it keeps
taking me back to the "Verify the source Exists" error.
Any suggestions???

Thanks................... TOM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

What you need is the filter for the particular version of Works. Most of the
filters are available from the downloads page of my web site - the rest are
included with Word.

Tom Massfeller wrote:
Good Morning - I have a dell computer, about 2 years old, with
Windows XP and Office 2003.
A friend is sends me documents occasionally ending with .wps, which is
Microsoft Works, I believe...
Problem is I can't open the document. I've tried changing to .doc,
but that doesn't work.
Should my Word program be able to open these documents??
Or, do I have to buy another program?

Thanks.................................. TOM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Massfeller

Graham, thanks for the help... I found a conversion for Word 97, 2000 &
2002, but it doesn't reference Word 2003; is that what I should try??

Thanks......................... TOM

Works 6.0 Converter for Works and Word Users

The Works 6.0 Converter allows you to convert word processor
documents created in Microsoft Works 6.0 to Microsoft Word and other Works
programs. Specifically, this converter works with Works 2000, 4.5, and 4.x,
and Word 2002, 2000, and 97.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The Works files listed on my web site are the old filters for older versions
of Works. They all pre-date Word 2003. They will work with Word 2003 if
installed as instructed in the accompanying text file and the registry patch
applied.
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/WorksTextConv.zip You may get a security warning
when you use these filters.

Tom Massfeller wrote:
Graham, thanks for the help... I found a conversion for Word 97, 2000
& 2002, but it doesn't reference Word 2003; is that what I should
try??
Thanks......................... TOM

Works 6.0 Converter for Works and Word Users

The Works 6.0 Converter allows you to convert word
processor documents created in Microsoft Works 6.0 to Microsoft Word
and other Works programs. Specifically, this converter works with
Works 2000, 4.5, and 4.x, and Word 2002, 2000, and 97.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jake

This WorksTextConv.zip works like a champ. Staff here at the office (who
don't have administrative rights to the PC they're working with) can do this
without involving our overworked IT staff.

THANKS GRAHAM. You're the best!

Jake

Tom Massfeller wrote:
Graham, thanks for the help... I found a conversion for Word 97, 2000
& 2002, but it doesn't reference Word 2003; is that what I should
try??
Thanks......................... TOM

Works 6.0 Converter for Works and Word Users

The Works 6.0 Converter allows you to convert word
processor documents created in Microsoft Works 6.0 to Microsoft Word
and other Works programs. Specifically, this converter works with
Works 2000, 4.5, and 4.x, and Word 2002, 2000, and 97.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

There are security implications of using the old filters as indicated on my
web site from where you downloaded the converters. Adding the software to
your company PCs without the involvement (or permission) of your company's
IT department is not something you should undertake.