Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Claudia Claudia is offline

Default Numbered Lists

I'm trying to create a central filing table of contents in Word. I'm trying
to create a series of numbers. For example

1000.1 Administration
1000.1.1 Agreements
1000.1.2 Contracts
1000.1.3 Correspondence

1000.2 Conferences
1000.2.1 etc
1000.2.2 etc
1000.2.3 etc

My problem is such that I've tried redinging numbers and changing level
format but I get crazy 1000.100.1 and so on it just keeps getting larger
from there. How can I fix this or create an automated numbering system based
on what I would really like above.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

As you haven't mentioned the Word version, let's assume 2003.
You need to apply an outline numbering style
By default Outlines will use Heading1, Heading2, Heading3 etc, but for the
list you have shown there three will suffice.
Start with the format 1.1.1
Set level 1 to start at 1000 and levels 2 and 3 each to start at 1.
Apply Heading Level 2 to the Sub Title lines and Level 3 to the Content
lines.
The result should be as you have illustrated.
Word 2007 should be similar.