Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Classic User Classic User is offline

Default HOW DO I CHANGE OFFICE 7 MENU SYSTEM BACK TO THE CLASSIC MENU SYST

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you mean Office 2007 (Office 7 is something entirely different) then the
answer is that you don't. What you see is what you get.
There are some add-ins that purport to imitate the menus of earlier
versions, but they tend to cause more confusion than help. Learn to use it
as it is.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz Pesach Shelnitz is offline

Default HOW DO I CHANGE OFFICE 7 MENU SYSTEM BACK TO THE CLASSIC MENU

Hi,

I feel for your pain in making the transition from your previous version of
Word to Word 2007. You would probably prefer getting your work done than
spending your time re-learning how to do things that you already knew how to
do quickly and easily.

There are some ways to make this transition a little smoother. For one
thing, you should know that any sequence of keys that you pressed to open
something from a Word 2003 menu still works in Word 2007. You can still press
Alt with the letter that opened one of the Word 2003 menus followed by the
appropriate letter for one of the menu items to activate that menu item. For
example, pressing Alt+F and then C will close your document. If you remember
such sequences, you can still use them.

Also, the key combinations that performed tasks in Word 2003 still work in
Word 2007. For example, Cntrl+S still saves your document, Cntrl+A still
selects all, etc. Using key combinations always had the advantage that they
freed you from reaching for your mouse and from looking through menus and now
the ribbon.

There is a lot of information on the Web to help you with this transition. I
suggest that you check out the Interactive: Word 2003 to Word 2007 Command
Reference Guide at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...744321033.aspx. There is also a
useful guide at http://www.marshall.usc.edu/assets/003/5290.pdf, which shows
the Word 2007 equivalents for everything in the previous menus in one PDF
file. These are just two that I found helpful. There are many more.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you mean Office 2007 (Office 7 is something entirely different) then the
answer is that you don't. What you see is what you get.
There are some add-ins that purport to imitate the menus of earlier
versions, but they tend to cause more confusion than help. Learn to use it
as it is.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hatred of the Ribbon Hatred of the Ribbon is offline

So what I have just done is uninstall Office 2007 and install an open source
Office solution which meets my requirements.

It has menus - I can find things, it works!

It is nearly 1am and I have just spen two hours fighting Word 2007 menus -
every single thing I want to do is now not there in 2 button clicks or simply
cannot be found. I am literally pulling my hair out - and I am a pretty
knowledgable Microsoft integrator & user.

Microsoft you simply got it WRONG! - and I am not buying Office 2010 onwards
becuase of it for my home PC. How many people will it take to tell you that
they are NOT buying Office 2010 because of it before you bring classic menus
(as an option on the ribbon) backs for free as part of the Core Office
product.

PS: The "customise" ribbon is not the answer as mine is now full of tiny
unitelligible icons that I cannot begin to remember what each does.

Please bring back classic menus.

Please publicise that you will be able to download an update to
retrospectivley fix the fault on Office 2007.

The Ribbon - It's not even close to being a "feature" it is a fault that
causes the product to be NOT fit for (my) purpose in my personal opinion.

James.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you realize that all the keyboard shortcuts from 2003 still work in
2007?

On Aug 7, 7:55*pm, Hatred of the Ribbon Hatred of the
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hatred of the Ribbon wrote:
The Ribbon - It's not even close to being a "feature" it is a fault
that causes the product to be NOT fit for (my) purpose in my personal
opinion.

Then don't buy it. There are other word processors around that you can use
instead - all of which will require some sort of learning curve before you
become proficient, and if you are already familiar with Word 97, 2000, 2002
or 2003, use that.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hatred of the Ribbon Hatred of the Ribbon is offline

....and since it is not fit for my purpose I'll be sure to get my money back
from Microsoft. How do I claim?

{I didn't have much choice in the way I was inflicted with Office 2007 BTW}

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Hatred of the Ribbon wrote:
The Ribbon - It's not even close to being a "feature" it is a fault
that causes the product to be NOT fit for (my) purpose in my personal
opinion.

Then don't buy it. There are other word processors around that you can use
instead - all of which will require some sort of learning curve before you
become proficient, and if you are already familiar with Word 97, 2000, 2002
or 2003, use that.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Your rights may be affected by the laws of your place of residence, but see
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal...s/default.aspx
No-one from Microsoft forced you to buy any of their software. The ribbon
has been well documented since the application was introduced two years ago.
Caveat Emptor!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Hatred of the Ribbon wrote:
The Ribbon - It's not even close to being a "feature" it is a fault
that causes the product to be NOT fit for (my) purpose in my
personal opinion.

Then don't buy it. There are other word processors around that you
can use instead - all of which will require some sort of learning
curve before you become proficient, and if you are already familiar
with Word 97, 2000, 2002 or 2003, use that.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ozbecool Ozbecool is offline

I actually agree 100% with JAMES ! This is another example of the company
that knows better what is good for users. It would have been SO NICE to be
able to use OLD style menus. And again - Microsoft knows better.

And they do not even realize HOW MANY millions of potential users of this
and future products they would loose.

For example - I bought OFFICE 2007 because my daughter needed this version
for school. Now, seeing such a fundamental nuisance (i.e. that missing menu
ooption), there is no way I am going to buy another copy of Office 2007 for
myself. And I already started warning friends about this and three of them
decided not to bother with Office 2007 ! And one of those three decided to
use Office 2003 "until it will be so incompatible with other programs" that
it will become extinct. Then she would look for an alternative and it will
not be MS product she says.