Keith G Hicks

Default first line on new page same alignment and tabs as last line on previous page problem

This happens to me all the time and I don't know why. I have the last line
of text on a page (let's say this is page 5) left aligned and there are some
tab settings. Then using CTRL+Enter to force a new page (let's say this is
page 6) I want the first line of the new page to be center aligned and no
tab settings. If I change the formatting of the line on page 5, the first
line on page 6 takes on that formatting. When I change the first line on
page 6 back, then the last line on page 5 changes too. THis makes no sense
at all to me. There si clearly a page break and I see no reason why I can't
have these lines be different. I can give them different fonts, sizes and
other formatting features but the aligment and the tabs always plague me
here. What is this wacky program doing now?

Thanks,

Keith

Anne Troy

My rule of thumb: Always end every line with a return, always end every
paragraph with a return, always end every page with a return. (uh...
whenever possible, of course). It sounds to me like you're stopping typing
and, instead of hitting return, you're just entering a page break. Now,
paragraph formatting is stored in paragraph returns, so if you're not ending
the paragraph...well, I think you get the idea.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Keith G Hicks" wrote in message
[...]

Stefan Blom

Manual page breaks are notorious for behaving like that: they assume
that the paragraph continues after the break. The easiest way to avoid
the problem (which may not apply to all versions of Word) is to remove
the manual page break and then format the paragraph which should start
on a new page with "Page break before"; you'll find this setting on the
Line and Page Breaks tab of FormatParagraph.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

Stefan Blom

To clarify: The solution (to use "Page break before" formatting) works
in all versions of Word (at least Word 97 and later). However, it is
possible that not all versions of Word have the problem (with manual
page breaks).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]