Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Paul

Default Make Work work properly on flat panels rotated 90deg

There's a bug in Word 2003 when you view a document in Print Layout mode. It
cuts off the bottom of the page prematurely.

1) Test on any 19" flat panel that can be rotated 90 deg. on Windows XP Pro
(version 2002 Service Pack 2) at a resolution of 1280 x 1024. (my panel is a
Dell 1905FP)

2) In Microsoft Office Word (11.6502.6408) SP1, set the Zoom to 90%. This
should enable a user to see an entire page on the screen without scrolling.

3) Then click File, Page Setup, Paper tab

4) Ensure that Paper size is Letter with a Width of 8.5" and Height of 11"

5) Click View, Print Layout

6) Type two pages worth of text of anything.

7) Note that the end of page 1 cuts off at about 9 1/2" rather than the 11"
which it should. Note that the page width is represented correctly at 8".

At 90" Zoom level on a 19 flat panel, a user should be able to hold a real 8
1/2 by 11" peice of paper up to the screen, and match it almost exactly in
size and poportion (true, exact WYSIWYG). But in fact, the representation in
Word comes up an inch short at the paper's bottom. This is the bug that
needs to be fixed!

Please let me know if/when a service patch is released to correct this bug.

Thanks,
Paul Berberich

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz

Have you noticed that the _top_ of the page gets cut off as well? If so...

I don't have access to the equipment you specify, but it sounds to me like
the "bug" you're referring to is effectively addressed in this article:

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm

If not, I have to question your testing method:

At 90" Zoom level on a 19 flat panel, a user should be able to hold a real 8
1/2 by 11" peice of paper up to the screen, and match it almost exactly in
size and poportion (true, exact WYSIWYG).

How do you figure that 100% of 8.5x11 should "match it almost exactly" with
90% of 8.5x11? It seems to me that there will be a 10% difference which - not
coincidentally - amounts to the approximate number of inches you claim you'e
missing. This is the case regardless of screen size.

How does the display compare to the actual sheet of paper if you set your
Zoom to 100%?

Regards |:)

"Paul" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Paul

Thanks CyberTaz! That does it. I guess my only gripe now is that this
option should be set be default.

"Paul" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It actually isn't set as the default, but it's very easy to trigger it
accidentally by clicking between pages.

"Paul" wrote:

[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Paul

How do you figure that 100% of 8.5x11 should "match it almost exactly" with
90% of 8.5x11? It seems to me that there will be a 10% difference which - not
coincidentally - amounts to the approximate number of inches you claim you'e
missing. This is the case regardless of screen size.

Get a rotatable 19" LCD panel and you'll see for youself. I agree with you,
that 100% should match a real peice of paper in size & porportion, but it
doesn't. On a 19" LCD flatpanel, 90% does. Go figure.

How does the display compare to the actual sheet of paper if you set your
Zoom to 100%?

At 100% Zoom, an actual sheet of paper is 10% smaller.