Mike

Default how to scan my existing letterhead as background on my blank word.

I need to know how could I scan my existing letterhead to be used as the
background for all my documents?
Michael Gould

Wow, Lucky you..I just made such a thing in Word 2003.

1. Decide first if you want to allow for multiple printer types - Laser
types can print up to a quarter inch from the page border, inkjets need a
wider margin.

2. Scan the logo into the computer at the size you want it to take up on the
page. Set the resolution to at least 300dpi and save as a TIFF or BMP (NO
JPEGS!). Make note of the picture size and where you want it placed.

3. Now go into Word and create a new document. You want to make a document
template, so you need to decide if your logo/letterhead will be on every
page, first page only, or different logo on second + pages.

Section A:

1. If you want to have the logo on every page here is what to do:
2. Go to View Toolbars and select Drawing - you will need it to finish
the letterhead.
3. Go to View Header and Footer.
4. When the header (or footer) is selected, go to Insert Picture From
File, and browse to the picture you scanned earlier and select it, then
click on the [Insert] button.
5. When the picture shows up, double click on it. The Format Picture option
box pops up.
6. Click on the Layout tab. Select the "Behind Text" option, then click on
the [Advanced...] button. Click on the Picture Position Tab in the Advanced
Layout Popup
7. Set Horizontal and Vertical Alignment or Absolute Position relative to
page only. Click on Lock anchor and make sure Move Object with Text is
unchecked.
Click [OK], then click [OK]. Select the repositioned picture.
8. Go to the Drawing Toolbar, Click on the [Draw] button Align or
Distribute Relative To Page.
9. Close the header and footer view.
10. Save the document as a template.

Section B:

If you want to get more elaborate and have a different first page, do the
steps 1-8 using your second page image. Once done, or if there is no image,
do the following:

1. Go to File Page Setup
2. Select the Layout tab
3. In the Headers and Footers section, click on the "Different First Page"
check box, then click "OK"
4. Do Steps 2-10 in Section A.

Special thanks to Suzanne Barnhill for her earlier assistance.

Hope this Helps.

Mike

wrote in message
I need to know how could I scan my existing letterhead to be used as the
background for all my documents?

Charles Kenyon

So you want corporate reports or pleadings or contracts on your letterhead?
How about labels? You do not want all of your documents on your letterhead,
I'm sure. What you do want is a custom document template.

Unless your existing letterhead has a graphic you would be better off
reproducing it in Word rather than using a scanned image. If there is a
graphic, scan the graphic and reproduce the text. It will be sharper and the
files will be a lot smaller.

--
Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you
want one header on the first page and a different header on other pages.

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Word for Word Perfect Users
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm if you are coming from a WP
environment (or even if you are not).

If you are interested in creating templates that will work with the letter
wizard or use that wizard, you should look at the chapter on Advanced
Document Formatting in Using Office 2003 (or whatever your version is),
Special Edition, by Ed Bott and Woody Leonhard. It has detailed instructions
including instructions on getting the fields you want from your Outlook
Contacts for addressing a letter. (Chapter 19 of SE Using Office 2003) You
should be able to get this through your public library or at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...ncecheckbookA/

Finally, take a look at the letter templates that come with Word. While they
are no great shakes as letterhead, they do use styles and AutoText lists
very well. If you use the same style names that are used in those templates
in your own letterhead for the same parts of the document, you will have
better luck with using the built-in AutoText entries in Word.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Mike" wrote in message
I need to know how could I scan my existing letterhead to be used as the
background for all my documents?

Mike

Thanks Michael

I am truly amazed how fast people do help on this discussion group! Bravo
Thanks for your time and errorts! It did REALLY help!

Mike Adatia

wrote in message
I need to know how could I scan my existing letterhead to be used as the
background for all my documents?

Mike

Dear Charles:

Thanks for your help! It was really very prompt and surprisingly elaborate!
Keep up the good work!

Mike Adatia

"Mike" wrote in message
I need to know how could I scan my existing letterhead to be used as the
background for all my documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jonathan

Default how to scan my existing letterhead as background on my blank w

I have a related question. Is there any way to set Word so that Headers and
Footers are not printed?

The reason I ask is this: We already have our letterhead setup in Word. We
would like to have a printing company pre-print our letter head on blank
paper (because it is in color, and we do not have a color laser printer).
How would we go about printing the letters (without of course having or BW
printer print over the pre-printed lettter head)?

Now, your first reaction might be to say just to figure out how much space
the header takes, and just enter a bunch of line breaks to start the letter.
That would work, but it is no the best solution for us. The reason is
because we often send our letters in digital formats (pdf), and we would need
the header to show up in those instances.

There has to be an easy way to do this, as I'm sure many big companies do
this same sort of thing.

Hope that made sense.

"Mike" wrote in message
I need to know how could I scan my existing letterhead to be used as the
background for all my documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mike

"Mike" wrote:

I need to know how could I scan my existing letterhead to be used as the
background for all my documents?

Thanks. It is real work of a genius!