Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
magicdds magicdds is offline

Default Lineing up merged data properly on printout

I have a letter that I want to print that has data being merged from an
Access database. The letter should look as follows:

Dear Dr. Jones,

Here is the information about your patient Tim Smith:

Classification: {Mergefield1}
Discrepancy: {Mergefield2}
Midline: {Mergefield3}

Sincerely,
Mark

In order to get the text of the letter to line up properly, I did the
following:

{Advance \x 60} Classification: {Advance \x 200} {Mergefield1}
{Advance \x 60} Discrepancy: {Advance \x 200} {Mergefield2}
{Advance \x 60} Midline: {Advance \x 200} {Mergefield3}

This works fine unless the data in {Mergefield2} is too long. Then what
happens is when the data gets to the right margin of the page, it goes to the
next line. Instead of lining up with the data 200 points from the left
margin, the next line starts all the way at he left margin of the page.

How can I get the spillover from a mergefield to resume on the next line,
but 200 points from the left margin, so it lines up with the other mergefield
data?

Thanks,
Mark
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Insert a two column table in the document with the Classification,
Discrepancy and Midline in cells in the left column and the mergefields in
the corresponding cells in the second column. Use Ctrl+Alt+U to remove the
border from the table.

Alternatively, format each paragraph with a hanging indent and a matching
tab stop.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"magicdds" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
magicdds magicdds is offline

Without going into detail, a table will not work in my form letter. The
second suggestion sounds like it may work but I don't understand how to do a
hanging indent and a matching tab stop. Could you please explain that method
in a little more detail.

Thanks,
Mark