Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DawnM DawnM is offline

Default Consecutive Page Numbers for Odd and Even Pages

Help Please! I am developing a coaches guide. I need even pages to be
consecutively numbered as well as the even pages. I am going to have the
actual participant pages on the right and the corresponding coach's page on
the left. I already marked different odd/even footers but the numbering keep
giving me 1 2 3 when I need the left page to Coaches Guide - page 2 and the
right page to say Participant Guide - page 2 and so on. UGH. I know there is
a way but don't know it. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:52:02 -0700, DawnM
wrote:

Help Please! I am developing a coaches guide. I need even pages to be
consecutively numbered as well as the even pages. I am going to have the
actual participant pages on the right and the corresponding coach's page on
the left. I already marked different odd/even footers but the numbering keep
giving me 1 2 3 when I need the left page to Coaches Guide - page 2 and the
right page to say Participant Guide - page 2 and so on. UGH. I know there is
a way but don't know it. Thanks.

The first task is to get the first page of the document to be
even-numbered (left side). Open the header, and click the Format Page
Number button on the Header/Footer toolbar. Set the starting page
number to 0.

The page numbers you see now are the results of {PAGE} fields. You
need to modify those. First press Alt+F9 so you can see the field
codes.

In the Even Page header, type an equal sign to the left of the PAGE
field and the rest ro the right to make it look like

={PAGE}/2 + 1

Select all of that and press Ctrl+F9 to add field brackets around it.

In the Odd Page header, add characters to make it look like

=({PAGE} + 1)/2

Again, select all of that and press Ctrl+F9 to add field brackets
around it.

Press Alt+F9 again to collapse the fields, and you'll now have the
same number on each pair of facing pages.

If your document needs a table of contents or index, that's going to
be a problem. There's no way to force them to display the phony
numbers instead of the "real" page numbers.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DawnM DawnM is offline

Thank you so much. I am going to try it right now. As far as printing, can I
just print the right-hand pages (which are usually odd numbered)?

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I think you'll get the right-hand pages if, in the Print dialog, you set the
Print dropdown to "Odd Pages". The "real" page numbers of those pages
(rather than the page numbers displayed by the modified fields) are 1, 3, 5,
etc.

wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.