Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gordon Gordon is offline

Default Problems pasting text into a table

Word 2007. I have a single page A4 portrait document constructed as follows:
at the top, text that goes from one side of the page to the other. I then
have a section break, with a table consisting of three columns and one row.
What I need to be able to do is to type or paste text and/or small graphics
etc into each column, BUT I do NOT want the text to either wrap into the
next column, OR, create an extension to the column on the next page. In
other words, I want what is put into each column to use the available space,
and not to create new space - a fixed column size. The document can ONLY be
one page long. I have tried all the options I can see in Table Properties,
but can't seem to fix this. is it possible even?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Gordon" wrote in message
Word 2007. I have a single page A4 portrait document constructed as
follows: at the top, text that goes from one side of the page to the
other. I then have a section break, with a table consisting of three
columns and one row.
What I need to be able to do is to type or paste text and/or small
graphics etc into each column, BUT I do NOT want the text to either wrap
into the next column, OR, create an extension to the column on the next
page. In other words, I want what is put into each column to use the
available space, and not to create new space - a fixed column size. The
document can ONLY be one page long. I have tried all the options I can see
in Table Properties, but can't seem to fix this. is it possible even?

I think I may have fixed it - I created a new document and set the height of
the row in the table to be an exact measurement in Table Properties....we
shall see.... :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I understand everything but the section break. Is that left over from an
earlier experiment with snaking columns? It's certainly not needed just for
a ordinary text followed by a table.

"Gordon" wrote in message
Word 2007. I have a single page A4 portrait document constructed as
follows: at the top, text that goes from one side of the page to the
other. I then have a section break, with a table consisting of three
columns and one row.
What I need to be able to do is to type or paste text and/or small
graphics etc into each column, BUT I do NOT want the text to either wrap
into the next column, OR, create an extension to the column on the next
page. In other words, I want what is put into each column to use the
available space, and not to create new space - a fixed column size. The
document can ONLY be one page long. I have tried all the options I can see
in Table Properties, but can't seem to fix this. is it possible even?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I understand everything but the section break. Is that left over from an
earlier experiment with snaking columns? It's certainly not needed just for
a ordinary text followed by a table.

I originally put the section in because I wanted two different types of
formatting on then same sheet: no columns and columns.
However, I discovered that the answer is indeed to use tables, and then to
set the height of the row to be an exact measurement - that stops the row
elongating itself onto the next page when text is inserted!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
That's what I suspected. You can now remove the section break, as it is no
longer needed, and it will just make your document needlessly complex.

I binned the original and created a new document - it was simpler! :-)