Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
MaryP MaryP is offline

Default I don't want my template table to change size when I type in it.

I have made a lesson plan template in a table format. When I type plans in
each week, I do not want the table cells to change size as I type. How do I
lock them?

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Right-click a table, and choose Table Properties from the context menu. On
the Table tab, click Options. In the Table Options dialog box, clear the
"Automatically resize to fit contents" option, and click OK twice. Repeat
for any additional tables in your document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MaryP" wrote in message
news
I have made a lesson plan template in a table format. When I type plans in
each week, I do not want the table cells to change size as I type. How do
lock them?

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
MaryP MaryP is offline

That's what I've tried. The checkbox is cleared, but it still expands every
time I type in the box.

"MaryP" wrote:

I have made a lesson plan template in a table format. When I type plans in
each week, I do not want the table cells to change size as I type. How do I
lock them?

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If you mean that the bottoms of the cells expand downward as you type,
that's the way they normally behave. To change that, open the Table
Properties dialog again, go to the Row tab, check the box for "Specify
height", enter the measurement you want, and change "At least" to
"Exactly".

If you type more than fits in the cell, though, the extra will simply
not appear. You would have to reduce the font size to make the text
fit the cell rather than vice versa.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"MaryP" wrote:

I have made a lesson plan template in a table format. When I type plans in
each week, I do not want the table cells to change size as I type. How do I
lock them?

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Try AutoFit | Fixed Column Width on the Table Tools layout tab (Word 2007).

If you are using Word 2003, click Table | AutoFit | Fixed Column Width.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP