Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
L. Gautero L. Gautero is offline

Default Creation of a List of Symbols for Technical Essays

The document that I want to prepare is technical and the following feature,
if implemented would help to make it more consistent.

The feature which characterise most technical essay is a list of the symbols
used, mainly letters with subscripts or greek letters, which have a specific
meaning and are therefore collected in a list where their meaning is
explained in full.

In Word this kind of list is not implemented, I was wondering if such a list
can be implemented with this particular options:

Once the symbol is entered, it can be selected and it enters a list, its
format is preserved and a reference is created.
The symbol can be therefore put again in the text, in case it recurs, by
adding a "ref field", this way in case the symbol needs to be changed to
match better the meaning or to avoid misunderstanding, it can be done from
the list, without checking all single events of the symbol.

The list has also the possibility to include a paragraph for the description
of the symbol.

example:
Current Chance rate
Euro-Dollar
Bookmark: EUUS

Showed text:

The Euro-Dollar is currently fluctuating, people relate this fact to
weather condition on Mars. While the Euro-Dollar does not have effect on the
Mars society, we can still understand how its colonization would have an
impact on a higher fluctuation of the Euro-Dollar.

text with fields:

The { REF EUUS } is currently fluctuating, people relate this fact to
weather condition on Mars. While the { REF EUUS } does not have effect on
the Mars society, we can still understand how its colonization would have an
impact on a higher fluctuation of the { REF EUUS }.

Hope this is clear.

p.s.
This question comes from the fact that other tools, which I cannot use for
the purpose of writing this technical essay, namely TeX, allow this feature
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you insert an AutoText field, you can update it after redefining the
AutoText entry. Or you could insert the symbol, bookmark it, and use REF
fields as you suggest. You'd probably need to reinsert the bookmark after
changing the symbol.

http://word.mvps.org