CEB

Default Word Hyperlink: Opening & Returning

I have created many hyperlinks to launch to other locations within the same
Word 2003 document. However, I have two complications. First, in order to
launch the hyperlink I must right click and then select €śopen hyperlink€ť from
the pop-up menu. How do I arrange for the hand icon to appear with its
finger pointing at the hyperlink? If I could make the hand appear then I
would just have to click on the hyperlink to launch it. Second, I dont see
any method that would allow me to return to the original hyperlink once the
referenced section is viewed. To make a €śreturn to€ť hyperlink at the
referenced section will not meet my needs because I often have multiple
hyperlinks throughout the document launching to a single section, and it
would not be expedient to locate multiple €śreturn to€ť hyperlinks next to a
single referenced section. Is there a way to allow a reader to return easily
to the original hyperlink?
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:55:02 -0700, CEB
wrote:

I have created many hyperlinks to launch to other locations within the same
Word 2003 document. However, I have two complications. First, in order to
launch the hyperlink I must right click and then select “open hyperlink” from
the pop-up menu. How do I arrange for the hand icon to appear with its
finger pointing at the hyperlink? If I could make the hand appear then I
would just have to click on the hyperlink to launch it. Second, I don’t see
any method that would allow me to return to the original hyperlink once the
referenced section is viewed. To make a “return to” hyperlink at the
referenced section will not meet my needs because I often have multiple
hyperlinks throughout the document launching to a single section, and it
would not be expedient to locate multiple “return to” hyperlinks next to a
single referenced section. Is there a way to allow a reader to return easily
to the original hyperlink?

When you hover the mouse pointer over a hyperlink, don't you see a
tooltip that includes "CTRL + click to follow link"? When you press
the Ctrl key, does the cursor change to the hand icon? If not, there's
something wrong with your hyperlinks or maybe with your Word
installation.

If you do see those things, you can get rid of the requirement for the
Ctrl key by going to Tools Options Edit and unchecking "Use Ctrl +
click to follow hyperlink". However, this will be only on your PC;
when the document is opened on other PCs, the option will be set to
whatever that user prefers. That's the way it should be -- if they're
used to using Ctrl+click, your preference shouldn't override theirs.

To return to the hyperlink, press Shift+F5, the GoBack command.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
CEB

You can get rid of the requirement for theCtrl key by going to Tools
Options Edit and unchecking "Use Ctrl +click to follow hyperlink". However,
this will be only on your PC;when the document is opened on other PCs, the
option will be set to whatever that user prefers. That's the way it should be
-- if they're used to using Ctrl+click, your preference shouldn't override
theirs.
THANKS, THIS WORKED. ILL JUST HAVE TO INCLUDE A SPECIAL NOTE TO THE READER
REGARDING THE €śUSE CTRL + CLICK TO FOLLOW HYPERLINK€ť OPTION.

To return to the hyperlink, press Shift+F5, the GoBack command.
THANKS, THIS WORKED. ILL HAVE TO INCLUDE A SPECIAL NOTE TO THE READER
REGARDING THIS COMMAND AS WELL. IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE SOME MORE
SIMPLE WAY TO GO BACK, LIKE A DOUBLE CLICK. IS €śSHIFT+F5€ť THE EASIEST WAY TO
GO BACK?

wrote:

[...]

Tony Jollans

After following a hyperlink you should be able to go back with Alt+:Left
Arrow which you may find slightly easier.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"CEB" wrote in message
You can get rid of the requirement for theCtrl key by going to Tools
Options Edit and unchecking "Use Ctrl +click to follow hyperlink".

However,
this will be only on your PC;when the document is opened on other PCs, the
option will be set to whatever that user prefers. That's the way it should

be
-- if they're used to using Ctrl+click, your preference shouldn't override
theirs.
THANKS, THIS WORKED. I'LL JUST HAVE TO INCLUDE A SPECIAL NOTE TO THE

READER
REGARDING THE "USE CTRL + CLICK TO FOLLOW HYPERLINK" OPTION.

To return to the hyperlink, press Shift+F5, the GoBack command.
THANKS, THIS WORKED. I'LL HAVE TO INCLUDE A SPECIAL NOTE TO THE READER
REGARDING THIS COMMAND AS WELL. IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE SOME MORE
SIMPLE WAY TO GO BACK, LIKE A DOUBLE CLICK. IS "SHIFT+F5" THE EASIEST WAY

GO BACK?

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
thnyoung thnyoung is offline

I have been having the same problem that CEB describes, namely wanting to get
back to where the hyperlink was from my bookmark/hyperlink destination.

I tried the two different key combinations (alt + left arrow, shift + F5)
and they took me to different places in my document and in other documents.
Sometimes they took me to where I wanted to go, other times they didn't. So
it seems like they work by a different logic than "go back to where you were
before following the hyperlink" but I can't quite tell what that logic is!
Does anyone else?

Any other ideas about how to get back to the place the hyperlink launched
from?

thanks

"CEB" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Shift+F5 takes you back to the last *edit*--you have to have actually
performed some action at that location (other than just clicking on a link)
for it to be bookmarked. Alt+Left Arrow should take you back to the link you
clicked on.

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Wordperfect Office 2000 conversion to Word 2003 MikeE New Users 1 March 21st 05 12:04 AM
WordPerfect keyboard macro>Word equivalent? Anty New Users 2 March 13th 05 06:23 PM