Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CharlieTuneA

Default Change Tracking

I was using change tracking in a Word 2003 document, but now want to turn it
off. I turn of tracking, save the document and close it, but when I re-open
it, tracking is always on.

Thank you in advance.

--
Charlie Randisi
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CharlieTuneA

Jay,

Thank you for the information. However, what is happening is this:

I accepted all changes in the document. Then I turned Track Changes off (by
double-clicking the TRK symbol. Then I saved the document and closed it.

When I re-open the document, the TRK symbol is turned on, and any changes I
make are marked as changes (unless I turn the TRK symbol off again.)

So what I need to know is: How do I save the document so that when I open
it, change tracking is not turned on.

--
Charlie Randisi

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 13:17:29 -0800, CharlieTuneA
wrote:

I was using change tracking in a Word 2003 document, but now want to turn it
off. I turn of tracking, save the document and close it, but when I re-open
it, tracking is always on.

Thank you in advance.

There's a difference between having Track Changes "turned on" (that
is, new changes will continue to be marked) and having previously
tracked changes displayed.

I think what you're seeing is that Track Changes is turned off (if you
insert or delete something more, it won't be marked), but the document
is showing you the previous changes.

You can hide the changes by setting the dropdown on the Reviewing
toolbar to Final. You can remove all the changes from the document by
clicking the down arrow next to the Accept Change button and selecting
Accept All Changes.

You can turn off the automatic display of the on opening a document by
going into Tools Options Security and unchecking "Make hidden
markup visible when opening or saving". That probably isn't a good
idea, though, unless you never give your document files to anyone
else. If there are changes in the document, even if they're hidden so
you don't notice they're there, the recipient can read them easily.
That can be embarrassing or, in the worst case, a security threat.

For more explanation, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...ngesWorks.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CharlieTuneA

Thank you, Suzanne.

I looked for any running macros, but could not find any. I guess there's
some kind of an error in the document. It happens to be a very mature
document that's been around for several years, and has been through numerous
versions of Word and many changes over the years. I suppose I can create a
new document and paste everything from the old document in. That might take
care of it.

--
Charlie Randisi

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Where did you look for the macro? The first suspect would be an AutoOpen
macro, but it could also be a Document_Open procedure. What happens if you
increase your macro security level to high and attach the document to the
normal.dot template?

Note, if this is used to produce other documents, recreation and saving as a
template would be a good idea anyway.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is *not* normal. I would look for a macro that is causing this
behavior.

so
all may benefit.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Hi Charlie,

If the cause is a corrupted document, then you need to take one precaution
while making the new document: Be careful not to copy the final paragraph
mark from the end of the old document. (This is easier to do if nonprinting
characters are visible.) That paragraph mark -- or section breaks, if the
document contains any -- is the usual place where corruptions live.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Mature"--I like that. I've got a bunch of those, too (and some very mature
templates as well). I have some documents that, when I check the
Compatibility Options, I find are set for Word 2.0 compatibility! It's not
surprising that some corruption may have crept in.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is *not* normal. I would look for a macro that is causing this
behavior.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.