Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Popeye

Default Limit the number of times that a footnote is displayed

Hi everyone

I have Word 2003 and have a document which has three footnotes to which the
text refers. Everything's fine if I just refer to each one once, but one of
them is referred to in the text several times. I tried to copy the
superscript number in the body of the text (using CTRL + drag) to the
subsequent parts of the text where the footnote should be indicated and,
whilst it copies the superscript number, it also increments it and adds
another instance of the same footnote in the footnote area. When I'd done
all of the copying, I ended up with many entries in the footnote area - the
three that I want plus several duplicates of the second one which has several
references in the text.

I like the idea of being able to hover over the superscript number and have
a balloon show the footnote entry. I tried using a cross-reference but that
didn't create a superscript number automatically, nor did the balloon show.

Is it possible to do what I'd like, or will I have to accept many duplicate
occurrences of the same details in the footnote area?

Thank you for your time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you use a cross-reference to "Footnote number (formatted)," it will be
superscript. You can get the ScreenTip, too, but it will require a good bit
of work:

1. Insert the cross-reference. Clear the "Insert as hyperlink" check box.

2. Bookmark the original footnote reference.

3. Copy the footnote text.

4. Select the cross-reference you just inserted, and insert a hyperlink,
pasting in the footnote text as the ScreenTip. (This will probably be
limited to 255 characters.)

It's probably easier to insert the cross-reference as a hyperlink, which
will take you to the original footnote reference mark, where you can see the
ScreenTip or jump to the footnote itself.

"Popeye" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Popeye

Wow - that's lateral thinking!

I managed to do it, but the screentip also displays something like CTRL +
click to follow, which does, of course, jump to the bookmark. I realise
that it's a workaround (as is the simple use of cross-reference), so it's not
perfect. I suppose that I'll have to look at the options and see which is
least unacceptable. Maybe this will be available in the next version of Word?