Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dixie Folzenlogen Dixie Folzenlogen is offline

Default Attach individual Excel spreadsheets to mail merge document

I have 10-15 spreadsheets in an Excel workbook which are specific to
individuals. I also have a spreadsheet in the same workbook which is used to
generate a mail merge letter to individuals. The spreadsheets which are
specific to the individuals need to be printed as an "attachment" to the
letters. Can anywho tell me how to do it or point me to documentation?
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dixie Folzenlogen Dixie Folzenlogen is offline

CLARIFICATION: I have looked at previous posts but they seem to apply to
e-mails. I am not wanting to generate e-mail attachments. Just letters with
attachments.

"Dixie Folzenlogen" wrote:

I have 10-15 spreadsheets in an Excel workbook which are specific to
individuals. I also have a spreadsheet in the same workbook which is used to
generate a mail merge letter to individuals. The spreadsheets which are
specific to the individuals need to be printed as an "attachment" to the
letters. Can anywho tell me how to do it or point me to documentation?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

How are the spreadsheets related to the individuals, so that a merge would
know how to pick the correct one?

It *might* work if you conditionally insert a link to the workbook, if the
sheets each had a range name relating to a field in the merge data source -
something like

{ LINK Excel.Sheet.8 "D:\\My Documents\\Filename.xls" {Mergefield
FieldWithRangename} } I have not tested this with a merge but it works with
individual records when the range name is hard coded.

It might work if you had separate workbooks for each user and use an
INCLUDETEXT field, though you would need the old converter (download from my
web site) and it will throw a security message for each record. You would
need to name the Excel document to match a field in your data source and
then you can use something like

{ INCLUDETEXT "D:\\My Documents\\{Mergefield fieldname}.xls" }

Let me know if the link works as it has the makings of a new web page item

You may find http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm useful

"Dixie Folzenlogen" wrote:

I have 10-15 spreadsheets in an Excel workbook which are specific to
individuals. I also have a spreadsheet in the same workbook which
is used to generate a mail merge letter to individuals. The
spreadsheets which are specific to the individuals need to be
printed as an "attachment" to the letters. Can anywho tell me how
to do it or point me to documentation? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dixie Folzenlogen Dixie Folzenlogen is offline

Each individual spreadsheet is name "Lastname, Firstname". Each individual's
spreadsheet has a header and print area set. On the spreadsheet with the
mailmerge data, I have a column called "Exhibit" which contains the
individual spreadsheet's name corresponding to the individual's name and
other data. I was hoping that mail merge had some sort of command like
"Print 'Exhibit'" so that as it "looped" through the data for each individual
it could print the Excel spreadsheet. Am I hoping for too much?

"Dixie Folzenlogen" wrote:

I have 10-15 spreadsheets in an Excel workbook which are specific to
individuals. I also have a spreadsheet in the same workbook which
is used to generate a mail merge letter to individuals. The
spreadsheets which are specific to the individuals need to be
printed as an "attachment" to the letters. Can anywho tell me how
to do it or point me to documentation? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dixie Folzenlogen Dixie Folzenlogen is offline

Graham --

Couldn't make your suggestion work. Below is what I put on the 2nd page of
my mail merge letter:

{LINK Excel.Sheet.8 "\"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Dixie Folzenlogen\\My
Documents\\June_2006_Fee_Calculations.xls" {Mergefield Report}}

Report is the column on my spreadsheet containing the merge data and has the
range name I gave to the data on the individual's spreadsheet.

Ideally, I would like to have a columns on the spreadsheet containing the
merge data as follows: Report (for each individual), Filename (the workbook
name) and File Location (exact path to workbook). This would facilitate
making quick changes in the event the workbook gets moved to another user's
computer, etc.

Separate workbooks for each individual for which a report is generated is
not feasible. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

"Dixie Folzenlogen" wrote:

I have 10-15 spreadsheets in an Excel workbook which are specific to
individuals. I also have a spreadsheet in the same workbook which
is used to generate a mail merge letter to individuals. The
spreadsheets which are specific to the individuals need to be
printed as an "attachment" to the letters. Can anywho tell me how
to do it or point me to documentation? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dixie Folzenlogen Dixie Folzenlogen is offline

Graham --

I think I'm getting close (see my other posts).

I inserted a link on my mail merge document as follows:
{ LINK Excel.Sheet.8 {MERGEFIELD "FILE_LOCATION"}{ MERGEFIELD "FILENAME" } {
MERGEFIELD "REPORT" }}

Then when I run the mail merge, I get a page after each page of my letter
which has this:
{ LINK Excel.Sheet.8 C:\Documents and Settings\Dixie Folzenlogen\My
Documents\June_2006_Fee_Calculations.xls Smith, John'!Print_Area}

It's obviously understanding the LINK portion but is not inserting the page.

What am I missing?

"Dixie Folzenlogen" wrote:

I have 10-15 spreadsheets in an Excel workbook which are specific to
individuals. I also have a spreadsheet in the same workbook which
is used to generate a mail merge letter to individuals. The
spreadsheets which are specific to the individuals need to be
printed as an "attachment" to the letters. Can anywho tell me how
to do it or point me to documentation? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is looking promising, though I confess I couldn't get it to work in my
later tests yesterday. I couldn't get it to translate the merge field on a
record by record basis. This is actually a common problem which is why I
emphasised *might*

However further tests this morning have shown that it will work *provided
you don't update the fields in the merge document* as this converts the
fields to the content of the displayed record. Merge to a new document and
then update the fields in that document. I used the code at
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm to do this, but all you need to
do is select the content of that document (CTRL+A) then update it (F9). With
luck that should do the trick.