DST

Default Word 2000 reuse

I want to install my copy of Word 2000, which came installed with my old
computer, on my new computer. Is this legal? If yes, the Install Wizard asks
for 25 letter ID. My Word 2000 was purchased in 2000 and my certificate of
authenticity only has a 20 letter ID. How do I get the Wizard to accept
this?--
DST
Jay Freedman

DST wrote:
I want to install my copy of Word 2000, which came installed with my
old computer, on my new computer. Is this legal? If yes, the Install
Wizard asks for 25 letter ID. My Word 2000 was purchased in 2000 and
my certificate of authenticity only has a 20 letter ID. How do I get
the Wizard to accept this?--
DST

No, it isn't legal.

A copy of Word (or Office) that comes "bundled" with a computer is legal
only on that computer. This is one of several restrictions, in return for
which the computer vendor got a greatly reduced price for the license from
Microsoft -- and that reduction presumably was passed to you.

Two other restrictions on these "OEM" versions are that the computer
vendor -- not Microsoft -- is responsible for support, and that they aren't
eligible for upgrade discounts.

You do have some options other than paying full price for a new copy.

- Works Suite (not just Works) comes with the same version of Word as in
Office, and is considerably cheaper, especially when it's discounted.
- The Student & Teacher edition has an attractive price, and you're eligible
if you are a student or teacher or have one in your family -- in practical
terms, that's almost everybody.
- Places such as EBay sell software at low to moderate prices. Here you can
find older versions that are no longer available in the usual retail
outlets. Be careful, though, that you know exactly what you're buying --
don't get a "license pack" or an "NFR" (not for resale) copy. Also beware of
spam and web sites that sell software at discounts of 90% and more -- that's
almost always pirated.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman