Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JL JL is offline

Default Word 2007 True/False Quick parts (check box)

Hi all,

I have Word 2007 documents in a SharePoint 2007 document library with
some metadata. I have a field that is a True/False field (check box).
When I insert it in the Word 2007 document it render as a dropdown
list, with true or false values.

Does anyone know how to change the rendering of this type of field to
show as a check box instead of dropdown list ?

Thanks

JL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Because there is no "checkbox" content control (cf. the Word online forms
checkbox formfield) my initial look at this suggests that the only way to do
anything like this is to modify the type of the content control (e.g. in VBA
via

ActiveDocument.ContentControls(1).Type = wdContentControlText

then wrap it up in an { IF } field to give you

{ IF thecontentcontrol = "true" "checked checkbox" "unchecked checkbox" }

unfortunately that means that you actually have to execute the field to see
any change in the value of the SharePoint field.

Since it is also possible to use the
ContentControls(i).XMLMapping.SetMapping to specify the xpath of the data in
the store, I thought it might be possible to use an xpath expression that
returned a more useful value (e.g. the Unicode codepoint of a checked or
unchecked checkbox), but
a. if it is possible, I cannot currently work out how to specify that xpath
expression
b. I am not sure xpath can do that
c. I am not sure that Word lets you specify an xpath that returns a value
rather than one that returns the address of a node
d. I assume you could then display the appropriate checkbox by setting the
properties of the text content control so that it displayed in a font that
had the checkbox characters. However, if you want the field to be updateable
using a toggle (e.g. where the user pressed the spacebar to toglle between
"checked" and "unchecked", the value that would go into the data store
and/or Sharepoint would pressumably have to be transformed back again, and I
don't know how you would do that, either.

It's a shame that the checkbox appears /in the displayed properties/ but
that you do not seem to be able to achieve the same thing in Word.

Peter Jamieson

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

ups.com...

Word 2003 and Quick parts JL Mailmerge 3 August 13th 07 09:23 PM
Problem merging Access True/False fields to Word document BillA Microsoft Word Help 1 October 26th 06 09:19 AM
If statement returning true result when should be false JodiMac Mailmerge 0 October 31st 05 08:52 PM
Mail merge from Access - Yes/No field converts to True/False J Guerry Mailmerge 2 May 9th 05 04:02 AM
Format true/false mergefield Gary O Mailmerge 1 April 7th 05 07:48 AM