Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Justin Jayjohn Justin Jayjohn is offline

Default word 2007 and grammar check

I have a user that is having issues with grammar check & word 2007.
She is having the issue related to contract documents she is to
prepare etc. Every time she runs spell check on one of these
documents, she is getting the message a language pack needs
installed. One time it might ask for french, another time brazil.
She gets these documents from several different users. I even loaded
one of the documents on my computer, ran spell check got the same
message. I also sent this document to the rest of my team, most people were
prompted for the brazil language pack. I originally tried removing the
"detect language
automatically" option that was checked. I have found out that I can
change this on one document. Another document can have this box
checked. I performed the following trouble shooting to this point:
-ran detect/repair
-ran chkdsk /f - to fix any file corruption
-defragged the hard drive
-installed office sp2 and updates
-completed reinstalled the entire Office 2007 suite

None of the above steps have worked to resolve this issue. Does
anyone have any other ideas of what to try or what might be causing
the issue?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

1. Always keep "Detect language automatically" turned off. No one
knows what it actually detects, but it's not language.

2. Be sure the entire document you're spellchecking is in the Set
Language it's supposed to be in -- Ctrl-A, Set Language (Review tab,
third from left, bottom) to English (US) or whatever.

Note that if you import so much as a single character from another
document with a different Set Language, it will bring its Language
with it. Especially if you download stuff.

On Aug 25, 4:08*pm, Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Justin,

The problem is mixed languages in the document. If those languages are not
enabled and available then you see those messages.

You can set the language to USEnglish or whatever by pressing CTRL+A, blah,
blah but that action only addresses the languages in the main text of the
troublesome document. While perhaps unlikely, the offending language set
could be in one of several other document layers (e.g., headers or footers,
textboxes, footnotes, etc.).

Then there is the possibility that you process hundereds or thousands of
these documents. The laborious process of setting the language manaully
could become very tiresome.

While scorned by some in this forum, you could always use a macro.

Sub SetLanguageNailMeetsTheHammer()
Dim oStoryRng As Word.Range
Dim bSetLangUS As Boolean
bSetLangUS = False
For Each oStoryRng In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
Do
With oStoryRng
If .LanguageID = 9999999 Then
If MsgBox("This is a mixed language document." _
& vbCr + vbCr & " Do you want to set the language to US English?",
_
vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "Mixed Language Detected") = vbYes Then
bSetLangUS = True
Exit For
.LanguageID = wdEnglishUS
End If
End If
End With
Set oStoryRng = oStoryRng.NextStoryRange
Loop Until oStoryRng Is Nothing
Next oStoryRng
If bSetLangUS Then
For Each oStoryRng In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
Do
oStoryRng.LanguageID = wdEnglishUS
Set oStoryRng = oStoryRng.NextStoryRange
Loop Until oStoryRng Is Nothing
Next oStoryRng
End If
End Sub

The name of the macro is abritary. You could run it on individual documents
or include the script in an AutoOpen macro stored in the template so it
would run automatically whenever a document is opened.

Need help with macros? See: http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, in the command "Set Language," "set" is a verb; you are setting the
desired language.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ain't English great? You can adjectivize verbs and verb adjectives!
(And Word _still_ can't "detect language automatically.")

On Aug 25, 5:41*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
FWIW, in the command "Set Language," "set" is a verb; you are setting the
desired language.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can't really fault Word for not doing a great job of detecting the
language automatically. It must surely require a fair-sized sample, given
the number of words that occur (not always with the same meaning) in more
than one language.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Justin Jayjohn Justin Jayjohn is offline

All,

Thank you for the replies. At this point, all the documents are written in
English. The documents are large contracts (several pages....upwards of 100
+). I was wondering if some font in the document could be causing the
problem. Some of these documents could have been created with word 2003 then
opened with word 07 modified and resaved. We tried taking a document that
was word 03, copied pasted into new word 07. We saved the document then try
grammar check, got the same result. So how I can I get all our machines to
open these documents correctly.

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Any linguist (as opposed to Artificial Intelligence folk!) will tell
you that fluent computer use of human language is decades, if not
centuries, away. The most unrealistic thing about *2001: A Space
Odyssey* was the conversing computer HAL -- but note that it never
occurred to Clarke & Kubrik that computers would be little boxes long
before 2001!

It's possible (not easy, but possible) to compose a passage that can
be read as either Latin or Italian. No matter how good Word's proofing
tools for those two languages are, what would it do?

On Aug 26, 9:42*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can tell you at least that it isn't the font (unless characters of
some non-Roman font that's associated with just one language have
somehow gotten in). If you type a Roman-alphabet letter with an accent
on it, even if it's associated with just one specific language (and
there aren't many of those!), Word won't assign a language to it.

A way to check if some errant language has been assigned to a bit of
text is to Find your base language (English (US) or whatever) -- Ctrl-
F, More Format Language -- click Find Next, and if the entire
document isn't selected, see what language it shows for the first
character after the end of the selection. Then that would be a clue to
where the other language came from.

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bogey Man Bogey Man is offline

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Any linguist (as opposed to Artificial Intelligence folk!) will tell
you that fluent computer use of human language is decades, if not
centuries, away. The most unrealistic thing about *2001: A Space
Odyssey* was the conversing computer HAL -- but note that it never
occurred to Clarke & Kubrik that computers would be little boxes long
before 2001!

It's possible (not easy, but possible) to compose a passage that can
be read as either Latin or Italian. No matter how good Word's proofing
tools for those two languages are, what would it do?

In addition to what has already been said, English isn't a "pure" language
in itself. It has several dialects where words have totally different
meanings depending upon usage from one dialect to another and from one
geographic region to another.

The best that you can do is to have proofing tools appropriate to the work
that you are doing (legal, medical, engineering etc.) Even then, grammar
checking will cause headaches. I would suggest as others have done; turn off
grammar checking.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Justin Jayjohn Justin Jayjohn is offline

Peter,

I tried your recommendations about see if some font within the document
could be a different language. I did the ctrl F and followed your
instructions. The entire did not highlight. It did highlight like a
paragraph at a time. I did not see anywhere, anything stating about what
language the font was. I was not sure if that meant all the font was
English. Did I do something incorrectly......

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can see the current Set Language in your status bar at the bottom
-- right-click on the status bar and turn on the Language option (9th
from the top).

Maybe the paragraph marks themselves are formatted with a different
Set Language?? Maybe there are some spaces at the ends of paragraphs
that are formatted with a different language??

(You do have Non-Printing Characters showing, don't you? Ctrl-
Shift-8.)

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I see you're choosing to ignore my advice about the syntax of "Set
Language." It is the same as "Set AutoShape Defaults," i.e., click this
button to set the defaults; use this dialog to set the desired language.

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Once you've set the language, it becomes the set language -- you can
watch the pot, but "a watched pot never boils." It's just a quirk of
the word "set" and a few others that the past participle (adjectival)
form is the same as the basic verb form.

The actual language of the document (for instance, English) can differ
from the Set Language of the document -- and you might not notice
until you type quotation marks and get guillemets or a pair of commas
(French and German behavior respectively), or a (semi)colon and get a
nonbreaking space before it (French).

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Justin Jayjohn Justin Jayjohn is offline

Peter,

I tried the steps you suggested. I did not see anything indicating the
language each paragraph is using. I did not have "non-printing" turned on.
I turned that on, I ran the ctrl F again. I still did not see anything
indicating the language. I did notice the document has "track changes"
turned on. I also noticed alot of words, sentences where "strikethrough" has
been used. The document also contains some charts, text boxes........

I have been researching this issue for several weeks now.......I appreciate,
any and all help to resolve this issue.

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As I said in the last message,

Right-click on the status bar

Turn on "Language" in the status bar

do a search for a specific language

You will see that language named in the status bar when it Finds it

See what language it reports for the very next (unhighlighted)
character in the document

Track Changes shouldn't interfere with the language settings.

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, the language of the document may differ from the language that has been
set as the Word default, but the language of any given text is just the
language that is applied; there is no way to set the default language of a
given document: all you can do is select text (all or some of it) and set a
specific language that will be applied to it. The language at the insertion
point can vary, but it varies only from the text around it, not from any set
standard for the document.

This is quibbling, of course, but I think that implying that there is a
"set" or default language for a document is deceptive because a different
language can ride in on a single pasted character and spread like wildfire
if you continue typing from that point. Moreover, I'm not sure that these
unwanted language settings can be removed even by selecting text and
pressing Ctrl+Spacebar (though this *should* work); one must be constantly
vigilant and periodically select all the text and reapply the desired
language setting.

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I didn't mention "default language" -- there's no such thing. When I
say Set Language, I mean the language that's revealed when you click
the Set Language button (or that's shown in the status bar). By
"actual language," I mean the language you're writing in. I've edited
an entire document written in English without ever noticing that the
Set Language was French, because I didn't happen to type any quotation
marks or colons or semicolons. (I had discovered that for some reason
it was A4 size rather than letter size, but that didn't suggest it had
a wrong Set Language.)

Ctrl-Spacebar will switch your system to Chinese if there's the
slightest chance of doing so -- not only if the Chinese IME is
enabled, but also if a Chinese font is installed.

I don't know whether Ctrl-Shift-Z will reset the language, but I doubt
it, simply because there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a default
language.

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There *is* a default language. It is the language used in Word by default,
selected by clicking the Default... button after selecting a language in the
Set Language dialog. Unfortunately, it seems to be easily influenced by the
language selected as the default in Windows. It will also be the default
language for any document you create in Word. You can set the language for
that document (or any portion of text in it) to some other language, but the
one chosen as the default will be the fallback.

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Unless you insist on having the last word you should consider this:

"With Daniels, it is his belief in his own infallibility that is so
irritating. Even when obviously wrong he continues his arguments."

An anonymous observation proven over and over again right here in this
group.

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The observation was not "anonymous," and it's possible that the person who
made it (in a private, NDA-covered NG) might prefer not to have it aired
here.

http://word.mvps.org

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

It is anonymous to the Mr. D and unless blind the person that made it has
seen it aired here several times. What is your point?

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
The observation was not "anonymous," and it's possible that the
person who made it (in a private, NDA-covered NG) might prefer not to
have it aired here.

"Greg Maxey" wrote in
message ...

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

To add to this, sometimes getting the proofing language to display on the
status bar for the current text is difficult. If you turn on the Language
option for the status bar you also need to have more than one language
enabled in order for it to actually display and you need to exit and restart
Word. If after you exit and restart Word the proofing language still doesn't
display on the status bar then you may need to close all Office applications
and start Word again. Failing that, try restarting your computer. But once
it does finally appear it will stay unless you return to a single enabled
proofing language . :-)

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

If the content selected by paragraph then as Peter suggested, it could be
hiding a empty paragraph mark used for creating the space between documents.
Based on your description that's what it sounds like. Although Greg's
advice, "You can set the language to USEnglish or whatever by pressing
CTRL+A, blah, blah" should have rectified the problem in the main document.
Did you try this? In the event you aren't sure of the steps to perform for
the "blah blah" portion of the instructions here they a

After pressing Ctrl+A to select the entire document:
- On the Review tab, click Set Language
- In the Language dialog box, select your preferred proofing language
- Click OK.

If you want to put this to rest and email me your document I can take a look
at it for you and see if I can remove the erroneous language. To obtain a
valid email address remove NoSpam4Me from

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Justin Jayjohn Justin Jayjohn is offline

Greg & Suzanne,

I was not ignoring your advice. I am using the web to view these forums. I
just now found your additional replies to my problem. I have tried
everything with set language. I can get the issue corrected with document a,
for example. As soon as the user is emailed another document, the process
starts all over again. She runs grammar check, she gets prompted for
different language packs.

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Justin Jayjohn Justin Jayjohn is offline

Beth,

I notice your an Office MVP. Have you come across the issue of owa wanting
to open 2007 attachments as zip files.

Justin Jayjohn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The new Office 2007 file formats are actually compressed xml files. You can
append the file name with .zip and open and view the content in the Windows
Explorer or your favorite compression utility outside the application.
Speaking of compression utilities, I'd say that's what's causing the
attachment issue you are encountering. The utility recognizes it's a zip
file based on the content, rather than the file extension, and is trying to
open it.

btw, did you get your language issue resolved? I'm still happy to take a
look at your file for you. :-)

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Justin Jayjohn" wrote in message
Beth,

I notice your an Office MVP. Have you come across the issue of owa
wanting
to open 2007 attachments as zip files.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Justin Jayjohn Justin Jayjohn is offline

Beth,

I am still working on both problems (2007 word grammar check & owa & 2007
attachments). What is the best way for us to communicate. Continue posting
replies or should I send you an email about both issues I am currently trying
to resolve.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

The new Office 2007 file formats are actually compressed xml files. You can
append the file name with .zip and open and view the content in the Windows
Explorer or your favorite compression utility outside the application.
Speaking of compression utilities, I'd say that's what's causing the
attachment issue you are encountering. The utility recognizes it's a zip
file based on the content, rather than the file extension, and is trying to
open it.

btw, did you get your language issue resolved? I'm still happy to take a
look at your file for you. :-)

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Justin Jayjohn" wrote in message
Beth,

I notice your an Office MVP. Have you come across the issue of owa
wanting
to open 2007 attachments as zip files.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The best way to communicate, and one that will benefit everyone, is to
continue the discussion in the thread. There may be others interested in the
attachments discussion and the outcome of the grammar issues. Plus these
threads can be searched using Google and it may help someone in the future.
:-)

For the grammar check issue you can email a sample document to
(Remove NoSpam4Me to obtain a valid email
address). I'll take a look at it and send you back a copy with corrections
(if I find something) and post a response back to this thread.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Justin Jayjohn Justin Jayjohn is offline

Beth,
I will need to hold off on sending you a document for now. I cannot go into
any details. However, I just got a call from another user yesterday
complaining about the same issue. But, this user had a one page letter maybe
2 paragraphs at the most. The user ran spell check; the document was showing
that €śFrench€ť was the default when it actually was not. I was able to
recreate this issue. I opened the same one page document, changed the date,
and ran spell check. I got the same notification as the user. We are now
seeing this issue since we moved everyone from Office 2003 to Office 2007.
We did not have this issue before.

I had opened another post about owa and 2007 attachments. No one has
replied to that post. I will give you more details. I have 2 computers,
setup exactly the same. Both have XP SP3, office 2007 with compatibility
pack installed, same version of IE, winzip etc. Basically they are both
configured exactly the same. On one machine I can open 2007 attachments no
problems. I right click on the attachment, from owa, the file will open as a
word, excel etc. On the other machine, I right click to open. I get the
window to save the file to my machine, the file shows as a zip file. So I
save the file to my machine, when I try to open the file. I cannot open the
excel document, the zip file looks like html doc etc. We are now seeing some
machines in our network will open the attachments okay. Other machines want
to save the files as a zip file.