Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HLStarch HLStarch is offline

Default Cross-Reference Dialog Box No Longer Works Right

This is a change in Word 2007 from previous versions, and it's starting to
drive me crazy.

I often insert a cross reference to a "numbered item" - normally a heading.
You can do with keystroke shortcuts or by clicing "Cross-reference" in the
"References" toolbar.

The problem is with the little dialog box that pops up at this point. Its
main window shows, in outline form, all the headings in the document, and I
then pick the one to which I want to insert a reference.

Except ... it doesn't. The main window in the dialog box OMITS all the
headings that are followed by a hidden carriage return (or paragraph mark, I
guess to be more accurate). Since hiding the paragraph mark is the standard
way to create a heading that runs together with the text (really ... it is:
it's even documented that you're supposed to do it that way, or at least it
was when I learned how to do it). So ... more often than not, I've got to
navigate to the heading, reformat the paragraph mark to unhide it, go back to
where the reference goes, insert the reference, navigate back to the heading,
reformat the paragraph mark to hide it again, then navigate back to where I
was working in the document.

This is a new problem in Word 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you use the built-in heading styles for your numbered headings, you can
still see them listed as headings even with Hidden paragraph marks (whether
or not Hidden text is displayed).

http://word.mvps.org

"HLStarch" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Hi, HLStarch,

I get the same result you do with both the style separator and a manually
hidden return. Sounds like you should report this to MS support.

Pam

HLStarch wrote:
I *am* using the built-in heading styles (Heading 1, Heading 2 ...).

If you use the built-in heading styles for your numbered headings, you can
still see them listed as headings even with Hidden paragraph marks (whether

[quoted text clipped - 34 lines]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If I use the built-in heading styles and apply numbering to them (and format
the paragraph mark as Hidden), I do see them listed as headings but not as
numbered items.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you use the built-in heading styles for your numbered headings, you
can
still see them listed as headings even with Hidden paragraph marks
(whether
or not Hidden text is displayed).

http://word.mvps.org

"HLStarch" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HLStarch HLStarch is offline

Aha! Yes, that works ... I just need to make the reference type "Heading"
rather than "Numbered Item," and insert a reference to the Heading Number.

What previously worked -- referring to a "Numbered Item" -- is a bit more
convenient, as sometimes the lowest level in my outline numbering is applied
to a text paragraph, rather than a heading, but I can switch back and forth
between "Heading" and "Numbered Item" as necessary.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you use the built-in heading styles for your numbered headings, you
can
still see them listed as headings even with Hidden paragraph marks
(whether
or not Hidden text is displayed).

http://word.mvps.org

news This is a change in Word 2007 from previous versions, and it's starting