Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lasse Franck Lasse Franck is offline

Default multilevel list to headings

I'm defining my styles in Word 2007.

I wish that the Heading 1 should automatically be numbered 1, 2, 3 and so
forth.
Heading 2 should automatically be numbered x.1, x.2, x.3 (where x is the
level of the heading 1 that the heading 2 is below).

It was fairly easy defining this in Word 2003, but I simply cannot find out
how to do it in Word 2007!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lasse Franck[_2_] Lasse Franck[_2_] is offline

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I figured that; however I cannot find out exactly what steps I'll have
to take.

The logical thing would be:
1) Right click heading 1, select "Modify".
2) Select "Format" "Numbering".
3) Select "1. 2. 3." and click "OK".
4) Right click heading 2, select "Modify".
5) Select "Format" "Numbering".
6) ....do something to say that this is an indent level lower than Heading 1

Regards,
Lasse

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You need to look at the Multi-level list option.

"Lasse Franck" Lasse wrote in message
I'm defining my styles in Word 2007.

I wish that the Heading 1 should automatically be numbered 1, 2, 3 and so
forth.
Heading 2 should automatically be numbered x.1, x.2, x.3 (where x is the
level of the heading 1 that the heading 2 is below).

It was fairly easy defining this in Word 2003, but I simply cannot find

out
how to do it in Word 2007!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, the headings must be part of a single list, and you should modify all
the levels by starting with the Level 1 style. Reread
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You need to look at the Multi-level list option.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Lasse Franck" Lasse wrote in message
I'm defining my styles in Word 2007.

I wish that the Heading 1 should automatically be numbered 1, 2, 3 and

so
forth.
Heading 2 should automatically be numbered x.1, x.2, x.3 (where x is

the
level of the heading 1 that the heading 2 is below).

It was fairly easy defining this in Word 2003, but I simply cannot

find
out
how to do it in Word 2007!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Karlin Michael Karlin is offline

Suzanne: The article you linked to doesn't help with Word 2007. There is no
way that I can tell to edit a multilevel list. You can define one, but there
is no (obvious) place to edit it.
--
Michael Karlin

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You need to look at the Multi-level list option.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Lasse Franck" Lasse wrote in message
I'm defining my styles in Word 2007.

I wish that the Heading 1 should automatically be numbered 1, 2, 3 and

so
forth.
Heading 2 should automatically be numbered x.1, x.2, x.3 (where x is

the
level of the heading 1 that the heading 2 is below).

It was fairly easy defining this in Word 2003, but I simply cannot

find
out
how to do it in Word 2007!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Can you not go through the linked Heading 1 style as in earlier versions?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You need to look at the Multi-level list option.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Lasse Franck" Lasse wrote in

message
I'm defining my styles in Word 2007.

I wish that the Heading 1 should automatically be numbered 1, 2, 3

and
so
forth.
Heading 2 should automatically be numbered x.1, x.2, x.3 (where x

is
the
level of the heading 1 that the heading 2 is below).

It was fairly easy defining this in Word 2003, but I simply cannot

find
out
how to do it in Word 2007!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Reporter Reporter is offline

On May 4, 5:18 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Can you not go through the linked Heading 1 style as in earlier versions?

Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

"Michael Karlin" wrote in message

I am really disappointed in how Microsoft has failed to provide proper
documentation in this critical area.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Karlin Michael Karlin is offline

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually, I found that if you click on "Define
New Multilevel List" it will allow you to edit your existing list. What a
recipe for confusion.

What I can tell you is that you cannot go through Heading 1. If you click
on Heading 1, click on Format and click on Numbering, you can do numbering or
bullets but you can't (as in Word 2003, of blessed memory) get at outline
numbering.

--
Michael Karlin

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You need to look at the Multi-level list option.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Lasse Franck" Lasse wrote in

message
I'm defining my styles in Word 2007.

I wish that the Heading 1 should automatically be numbered 1, 2, 3

and
so
forth.
Heading 2 should automatically be numbered x.1, x.2, x.3 (where x

is
the
level of the heading 1 that the heading 2 is below).

It was fairly easy defining this in Word 2003, but I simply cannot
find
out
how to do it in Word 2007!

Using Multilevel Lists in a table Carla Tables 2 January 9th 07 10:06 AM
multilevel headings with different number styles muraya Microsoft Word Help 1 November 9th 06 12:30 PM
bugs in multilevel list styles Jarvis Page Layout 1 October 19th 06 02:47 PM
Multilevel sorting tobiahw New Users 9 June 13th 06 02:04 PM
How do I make a chronological list of style headings? CyberTaz Microsoft Word Help 0 July 29th 05 06:19 PM