Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
debs

Default how do i reference in alphabetical order

which toolbar do i select in to put my references in alphabetical order!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how do i reference in alphabetical order

To reference in alphabetical order in Microsoft Word, follow these steps:
  1. Make sure you have added all your references to your document using the "Insert Citation" button in the "References" toolbar. You can add your references manually or import them from a reference manager like EndNote or Mendeley.
  2. Once you have added all your references, click on the "References" tab in the toolbar at the top of your screen.
  3. In the "References" tab, click on the "Sort" button in the "Sort" group.
  4. In the "Sort" dialog box, select "Paragraphs" in the "Sort by" dropdown menu.
  5. In the "Type" dropdown menu, select "Text".
  6. In the "Order" dropdown menu, select "Ascending".
  7. In the "Sort field" dropdown menu, select "Author".
  8. Click on the "OK" button to apply the alphabetical order to your references.

Your references should now be sorted in alphabetical order by author's last name. If you add new references, you can repeat these steps to update the alphabetical order.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Select the references and choose Table | Sort (they don't need to be in a
table, just separate paragraphs).

"debs" wrote in message
which toolbar do i select in to put my references in alphabetical order!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

On 11/18/05 8:10 AM, "debs" wrote:

which toolbar do i select in to put my references in alphabetical order!

Assuming that each reference is in its own paragraph and that each reference
starts with the thing you want to alphabetize by (e.g., the last name of the
author), then select the references and use Table | Sort. Text does not need
to be in a table to Sort it.

Perhaps this page on common questions about references, notes, and
bibliography would also interest you:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/footnotefaq.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word