Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jay Silver Jay Silver is offline

Default How do I combine 2 data fields into one merge field in WORD 2003?

How can I combine StretNum + space + StretNam into one mail merge field?

LstNam,FrstNam,StretNum,Unknwn,StretNam,Apt,AptNum ,City,St,Zip1,Zip2
Bonia,Emily,400,,Bridle Path Rd,APT,TH19,Bethlehem,PA,18017,3153
Bouton,Sharon,400,,Bridle Path Rd,APT,T,Bethlehem,PA,18017,3148
England,Pamela,400,,Bridle Path Rd,APT,C6,Bethlehem,PA,18017,3145
MacAdam,Markr,400,,Bridle Path Rd,APT,B7,Bethlehem,PA,18017,3146

Many thanks in advance, Joe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Well, you can only combine them into one field by changing the data source
(or the query used to get the data).

To display them, all you need is

{ MERGEFIELD Stretnum } { MERGEFIELD Stretnam }

To combine them into a single /thing/ that you can re-use, you can use

{ SET myfield "{ MERGEFIELD Stretnum } { MERGEFIELD Stretnam }" }

then e.g.

{ REF myfield }

If you need to test the combined fields in an IF or COMPARE field, you can
then either use

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD Stretnum } { MERGEFIELD Stretnam }" = "something"
"true" "false" }

or

{ IF "{ REF myfield }" = "something" "true" "false" }

Peter Jamieson
"Jay Silver" Jay wrote in message
How can I combine StretNum + space + StretNam into one mail merge field?

LstNam,FrstNam,StretNum,Unknwn,StretNam,Apt,AptNum ,City,St,Zip1,Zip2
Bonia,Emily,400,,Bridle Path Rd,APT,TH19,Bethlehem,PA,18017,3153
Bouton,Sharon,400,,Bridle Path Rd,APT,T,Bethlehem,PA,18017,3148
England,Pamela,400,,Bridle Path Rd,APT,C6,Bethlehem,PA,18017,3145
MacAdam,Markr,400,,Bridle Path Rd,APT,B7,Bethlehem,PA,18017,3146

Many thanks in advance, Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

There is no reason to combine them into one merge field. Just insert the
merge fields in the configuration that you want them. That is with a space
between.

If you really want to combine them, open the datasouce in Excel and then use
a formula in Excel to combine them.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.