Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzie Suzie is offline

Default text is not visible. Hidden text and white text not the problem

I use Vista, Word 2007 and have used the program in the past with no
problems. Now all new documents have no visible text. I have checked to see
if white text or hidden text is the problem. But that is not it. I can see
what I type if I select Header. Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Exit Word. Locate the normal.dotm file by searching in Windows Explorer
(remember to search hidden files and folders; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/...cnotblank.htm), and rename it to,
say, oldnormal.dotm. Then start Word, which will create a fresh copy of the
Normal template. That should fix the problem.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"suzie" wrote in message
I use Vista, Word 2007 and have used the program in the past with no
problems. Now all new documents have no visible text. I have checked to
see
if white text or hidden text is the problem. But that is not it. I can
see
what I type if I select Header. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzie Suzie is offline

Default text is not visible. Hidden text and white text not the probl

The only normal file I can find has an .lnk extension. I was unable to
rename it. The message said it was no longer located in (the pathway). It
seems to only be a shortcut but all searches turned up no other normal file
(with or without extensions)

"suzie" wrote in message
I use Vista, Word 2007 and have used the program in the past with no
problems. Now all new documents have no visible text. I have checked to
see
if white text or hidden text is the problem. But that is not it. I can
see
what I type if I select Header. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzie Suzie is offline

Stefan,
I took my computer to the Geek Squad and told them what you said to do.
They located the correct normal file for me, renamed it, and I can now see my
text.
Thanks.

"suzie" wrote in message
I use Vista, Word 2007 and have used the program in the past with no
problems. Now all new documents have no visible text. I have checked to
see
if white text or hidden text is the problem. But that is not it. I can
see
what I type if I select Header. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you got it sorted--and thank you for the feedback.

Note that since you didn't find the file(s) yourself, I suspect you either
forgot to show hidden files and folders, or you didn't search the whole C:
drive. Showing file name extensions is also helpful.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP