Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jack

Default How do I turn on automatic update of fields?

In a Word DOC that contains a TOC, an index, and associated field codes, as
well as a field code in the header for the document title, a couple of weeks
ago the automatic updates of the field codes stopped working. I cannot find
anywhere that the user has shut off an option.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When do you expect them to update automatically? Recent versions of (and
service packs for) Word have reduced this considerably, but most fields
should still be updated when you print or Print Preview provided you have
"Update fields" checked on the Print tab of Tools | Options. I have learned
that creating a PDF with Acrobat 6 unchecks this box.

"Jack" wrote in message
In a Word DOC that contains a TOC, an index, and associated field codes,

as
well as a field code in the header for the document title, a couple of

weeks
ago the automatic updates of the field codes stopped working. I cannot

find
anywhere that the user has shut off an option.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jack

My users believe that field codes were automatically updated when changed.
For example, when moving a graphic with its associated caption containing a
filed code referencing the previously paragraph to a higher numbered
reference paragraph; they believe the field code in the caption should update
to reflect the location in the new paragraph.

I also believed that to be the case, but I cannot replicate the action now
that we are under Word 2003 and SP2.

I have told my users that the codes are updated on print, if the options are
set properly, but they cling despirately to their belief. I am sure this
response will dissappoint some of my users, but there it is.

Thank you very much for your timely response.

"Jack" wrote in message
In a Word DOC that contains a TOC, an index, and associated field codes,

as
well as a field code in the header for the document title, a couple of

weeks
ago the automatic updates of the field codes stopped working. I cannot

find
anywhere that the user has shut off an option.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

All I can say is that some fields that used to update automatically no
longer do. For example, see €œThe FILENAME field does not automatically
update when you open a document in Word 2002 or Word 2003€ at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832897

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

When do you expect them to update automatically? Recent versions of (and
service packs for) Word have reduced this considerably, but most fields
should still be updated when you print or Print Preview provided you

have
"Update fields" checked on the Print tab of Tools | Options. I have

learned
that creating a PDF with Acrobat 6 unchecks this box.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.