Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
henninger99 henninger99 is offline

Default paragraph formatting

I just purchased a new hp laptop and installed Word 2003 Pro for business
purposes. The formatting automatically adds an extra space between
"paragraphs" (whenever I hit the return key). When I went to paragraph
formatting, the "Don't add a space between paragraphs of the same style" is
grayed out and will not allow me to check the box. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Usually, you would want some spacing between paragraphs. This assumes
that you are pressing Enter once between each paragraph ("blank lines"
are for typewriters only--see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...ng/index.html).
The alternative is to use first line indents for new paragraphs.

Anyway, here's how to clear the spacing in the applied style: On the
Format menu, click Styles and Formatting. Right-click the style name
and choose the Modify Style option. In the Modify Style dialog box,
click the Format button, and then click Paragraph. On the Indents and
Spacing tab, set Spacing Before and Spacing After to zero. Click OK.
Check the "Add to template" check box, and then click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP