Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Todd Michaels Todd Michaels is offline

Default Stop Word from capitalizing new lines

The question:
- How do I stop Word from capitalizing the first letter of a new paragraph?
(XP, Office/Word 2003) Specifically, this happens on the very first line of a
new document and after hitting the Enter key and starting a new line (which I
understand Word interprets as a paragraph).

What I've tried:
- Tools Autocorrect Options. That worked for a while, but something was
always causing my settings to revert to a default setting.
- writing macros with lines such as:
With AutoCorrect
.CorrectInitialCaps = False
.CorrectSentenceCaps = False
End With
These macros are set to run automatically when I start a new document and
when I edit an existing document. This worked for quite some time but
recently stopped working. The autocorrect behavior is back.

What I've already seen--several times--when searching for an answer:
- "Ctrl+z after the autocorrection will reverse the capitalization"
Undoing the autocorrection that shouldn't have been performed is really a
workaround for a bug, not a solution.
- "Stop hitting enter at the end of a line; let Word automatically wrap to
the next line."
- "Stop using Word like a typewriter."
I find comments like these to be EXTREMELY unhelpful, and more than a little
condescending. It's really not up to anyone else to tell me how Word is
"supposed" to be used. What I need is a way to tell Word that "this is how I
like to work; these are the settings I want to use--always; I want you to
stop trying to be so helpful and guessing--incorrectly--what you think I want
you to do. If I typed a word with a lowercase first letter when I meant to
start with an uppercase first letter, I will deal with the repercussions of
my actions on my own."

So. Are there any other suggestions for settings I might examine, or ways I
can poke Word to make it behave the way I've told it to?