Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alan[_2_] Alan[_2_] is offline

Default default footnote window

-- Using Word 2000
When I open the footnote window (from "View", or clicking on an
existing footnote number), it opens a window about 6 lines high. I
always have to drag it larger before I can see the entire note and do
any work.

Is there a way to change the default size of this window?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As far as I know, there is no way to change the default size of the footnote
pane. But note that you can scroll it to see all of its contents.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Alan" wrote in message
oups.com...
-- Using Word 2000
When I open the footnote window (from "View", or clicking on an
existing footnote number), it opens a window about 6 lines high. I
always have to drag it larger before I can see the entire note and do
any work.

Is there a way to change the default size of this window?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

It is possible to manipulate the initial height of the Footnotes pane using a
macro. The macro below may be used. I cannot guarantee that it works in the
same way as the built-in command (run via View Footnotes) in all situations.

The size of the Footnotes pane is determined by the value of nPaneSize set
in the macro (set to 60 below) - the value specifies the percentage the top
pane occupies of the window - experiment with the size until it fits your
needs.

Sub ViewFootnotes_Special()
Dim nPaneSize As Long

'Experiment with nPaneSize to set the height of the Footnotes pane
nPaneSize = 60

With ActiveWindow
Select Case .ActivePane.View.Type
Case wdPrintView, wdWebView, wdPrintPreview
'if in footnotes, go to main window and vice versa
If .View.SeekView = wdSeekFootnotes Then
.View.SeekView = wdSeekMainDocument
ElseIf .View.SeekView = wdSeekMainDocument Then
.View.SeekView = wdSeekFootnotes
End If
Case Else 'e.g. Normal view
'If more than one pane shown, close #2, else open footnoes
pane
If .Panes.Count 1 Then
.Panes(2).Close
Else
.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneFootnotes
'Now in footnotes pane - set split percentage
.SplitVertical = nPaneSize
End If
End Select
End With
End Sub

You could install the macro and assign a keyboard shortcut to it.

For help on installing a macro, see:

For help on assigning shortcuts, see:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...roToHotkey.htm

NOTE: The name of the command Word runs when you select View Footnotes is
"ViewFootnoes". Therefore, if you install the above macro and change its name
to "ViewFootnoes", the macro will run instead of the built-in command. Note
that the command will not run when you double-click a footnote reference (at
least not in my test).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Alan" wrote:

-- Using Word 2000
When I open the footnote window (from "View", or clicking on an
existing footnote number), it opens a window about 6 lines high. I
always have to drag it larger before I can see the entire note and do
any work.

Is there a way to change the default size of this window?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alan[_2_] Alan[_2_] is offline

On Oct 17, 5:12 am, Lene Fredborg
wrote:
It is possible to manipulate the initial height of the Footnotes pane using a
macro. The macro below may be used.

Thanks.

Installed and working.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers