Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeff Heikkinen Jeff Heikkinen is offline

Default Spell check some documents and not others?

Is there a way to have Word *not* automatically check the spelling as I
go for a particular document (say, a very large one where this can make
the process of opening it an ordeal) while still having it check
spelling by default in all other documents? I don't think the "Hide
spelling errors in this document" option actually does this, and I'm at
a loss to find another setting that might.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Butler John Butler is offline

Jeff

What version of Word are you using? In 2007 Options you can individually
select documents which will not be auto checked, leaving the default as
auto-check
John

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Tools Language. Check 'Do not check spelling or grammar'.

"Jeff Heikkinen" wrote in message
. ..
Is there a way to have Word *not* automatically check the spelling as I
go for a particular document (say, a very large one where this can make
the process of opening it an ordeal) while still having it check
spelling by default in all other documents? I don't think the "Hide
spelling errors in this document" option actually does this, and I'm at
a loss to find another setting that might.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Tools | Options | Spelling & Grammar: Hide spelling errors in this document.
This still allows you to run spell check manually. If you don't want the
document to be spell-checked at all, Ctrl+A to Select All, then go to Tools
| Language | Set Language and check "Do not check spelling or grammar."

"Jeff Heikkinen" wrote in message
. ..
Is there a way to have Word *not* automatically check the spelling as I
go for a particular document (say, a very large one where this can make
the process of opening it an ordeal) while still having it check
spelling by default in all other documents? I don't think the "Hide
spelling errors in this document" option actually does this, and I'm at
a loss to find another setting that might.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Butler John Butler is offline

Suzanne

This is not the route for Word 7. There it is Start Button | Word Options |
Proofing

John

Star Button
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Tools Options | Spelling & Grammar: Hide spelling errors in this document.
This still allows you to run spell check manually. If you don't want the
document to be spell-checked at all, Ctrl+A to Select All, then go to
Tools
| Language | Set Language and check "Do not check spelling or grammar."

so
all may benefit.

"Jeff Heikkinen" wrote in message
. ..
Is there a way to have Word *not* automatically check the spelling as I
go for a particular document (say, a very large one where this can make
the process of opening it an ordeal) while still having it check
spelling by default in all other documents? I don't think the "Hide
spelling errors in this document" option actually does this, and I'm at
a loss to find another setting that might.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word 7.0 is Word for Windows 95, so I assume you mean Word 2007. Nowhere in
Jeff's post do I see a reference to the version he is using.

"John Butler" wrote in message
Suzanne

This is not the route for Word 7. There it is Start Button | Word Options

Proofing

John

Star Button
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Tools Options | Spelling & Grammar: Hide spelling errors in this

document.
This still allows you to run spell check manually. If you don't want the
document to be spell-checked at all, Ctrl+A to Select All, then go to
Tools
| Language | Set Language and check "Do not check spelling or grammar."

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Jeff Heikkinen" wrote in message
. ..
Is there a way to have Word *not* automatically check the spelling as I
go for a particular document (say, a very large one where this can make
the process of opening it an ordeal) while still having it check
spelling by default in all other documents? I don't think the "Hide
spelling errors in this document" option actually does this, and I'm at
a loss to find another setting that might.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Butler John Butler is offline

Suzanne
Sorry! it is Office 2007 of course. You are right that he had not told us
the version but the words
"Hide
spelling errors in this document"

Are exactly what appears in the proofing pane of my Word 2007

Since he does not respond I am going to drop this thread after today

Best wishes
John

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Word 7.0 is Word for Windows 95, so I assume you mean Word 2007. Nowhere
in
Jeff's post do I see a reference to the version he is using.

so
all may benefit.

"John Butler" wrote in message
Suzanne

This is not the route for Word 7. There it is Start Button | Word Options

Proofing

John

Star Button
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Tools Options | Spelling & Grammar: Hide spelling errors in this

document.
This still allows you to run spell check manually. If you don't want
the
document to be spell-checked at all, Ctrl+A to Select All, then go to
Tools
| Language | Set Language and check "Do not check spelling or grammar."

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Jeff Heikkinen" wrote in message
. ..
Is there a way to have Word *not* automatically check the spelling as
go for a particular document (say, a very large one where this can
make
the process of opening it an ordeal) while still having it check
spelling by default in all other documents? I don't think the "Hide
spelling errors in this document" option actually does this, and I'm
at
a loss to find another setting that might.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That option (in those exact words) has been in Word for as many versions
back as I can recall.

"John Butler" wrote in message
Suzanne
Sorry! it is Office 2007 of course. You are right that he had not told us
the version but the words
"Hide
spelling errors in this document"

Are exactly what appears in the proofing pane of my Word 2007

Since he does not respond I am going to drop this thread after today

Best wishes
John

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Word 7.0 is Word for Windows 95, so I assume you mean Word 2007. Nowhere
in
Jeff's post do I see a reference to the version he is using.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"John Butler" wrote in message
Suzanne

This is not the route for Word 7. There it is Start Button | Word

Proofing

John

Star Button
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Tools Options | Spelling & Grammar: Hide spelling errors in this

document.
This still allows you to run spell check manually. If you don't want
the
document to be spell-checked at all, Ctrl+A to Select All, then go to
Tools
| Language | Set Language and check "Do not check spelling or grammar

.."

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Jeff Heikkinen" wrote in message
. ..
Is there a way to have Word *not* automatically check the spelling

as
go for a particular document (say, a very large one where this can
make
the process of opening it an ordeal) while still having it check
spelling by default in all other documents? I don't think the "Hide
spelling errors in this document" option actually does this, and I'm
at
a loss to find another setting that might.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Butler John Butler is offline

Suzanne
Thanks for the information.

We still do not kow what version Jeff is using or if he has solved his
problem!

John

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
That option (in those exact words) has been in Word for as many versions
back as I can recall.

so
all may benefit.

"John Butler" wrote in message
Suzanne
Sorry! it is Office 2007 of course. You are right that he had not told us
the version but the words
"Hide
spelling errors in this document"

Are exactly what appears in the proofing pane of my Word 2007

Since he does not respond I am going to drop this thread after today

Best wishes
John

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Word 7.0 is Word for Windows 95, so I assume you mean Word 2007.
Nowhere
in
Jeff's post do I see a reference to the version he is using.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"John Butler" wrote in message
Suzanne

This is not the route for Word 7. There it is Start Button | Word

Proofing

John

Star Button
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Tools Options | Spelling & Grammar: Hide spelling errors in this
document.
This still allows you to run spell check manually. If you don't want
the
document to be spell-checked at all, Ctrl+A to Select All, then go
Tools
| Language | Set Language and check "Do not check spelling or
grammar

."

newsgroup
so