Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
PKeuning PKeuning is offline

Default Set order of "next record" to list down left column then right

New to Office 2007. Is it possible to establish the order in which "next
record" will print? I want it to print in two columns, first down the left
column and then across and down the right column.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Not without changing the order of your data source. Word will always print
labels across the rows. Change to a directory merge and a two column format
and it will print the records down the columns (but they will not be
labels).

PKeuning wrote:
New to Office 2007. Is it possible to establish the order in which
"next record" will print? I want it to print in two columns, first
down the left column and then across and down the right column.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Here is a macro that will re-arrange the data source so that the labels will
be printed as you want. Alternatively, if you are using Access and can get
the datasource into Access, it has a label wizard that that this capability.

' Macro to assign numbers to data source so that it can be sorted to cause
labels to print down columns
Dim Message, Title, Default, labelrows, labelcolumns, i As Integer, j As
Integer, k As Integer
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a row" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per Row" ' Set title.
Default = "3" ' Set default.
' Display message, title, and default value.
labelcolumns = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a column" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per column" ' Set title.
Default = "5" ' Set default.
labelrows = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns.Add
BeforeColumn:=ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1)
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Range.Cut
k = 1
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows.Count - labelcolumns
For j = 1 To labelrows
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(i, 1).Range.InsertBefore k + (j - 1) *
labelcolumns
i = i + 1
Next j
k = k + 1
i = i - 1
If k Mod labelcolumns = 1 Then k = k - labelcolumns + labelcolumns *
labelrows
Next i
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Sort FieldNumber:="Column 1"
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Select
Selection.Paste
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1).Delete

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP