Shari

Default How do I change the default save name on a Word template?

I created a template. And let's say the original document I created it from
was called SpecificDocument.doc Now, whenever I create a new document from
that template and save that document, it's called SpecificDocument.doc. Of
course that can be changed in the file save dialog box. But for
professionalism's sake, it would be nice to get rid of that.

How can I change that to say something more generic? Or even just
Untitled-1.doc? I checked Document Properties and I see no mention of the
original filename in there. Where else could it be?
Anne Troy

File--Properties, change the title.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Shari" wrote in message
I created a template. And let's say the original document I created it from
was called SpecificDocument.doc Now, whenever I create a new document
from
that template and save that document, it's called SpecificDocument.doc.
Of
course that can be changed in the file save dialog box. But for
professionalism's sake, it would be nice to get rid of that.

How can I change that to say something more generic? Or even just
Untitled-1.doc? I checked Document Properties and I see no mention of the
original filename in there. Where else could it be?

Shari

That's what I meant by checking the Document Properties.

The name in there is "Generic Template." not "Specific Document"

Anywhere else it could be?

"Shari" wrote in message
I created a template. And let's say the original document I created it from
was called SpecificDocument.doc Now, whenever I create a new document
from
that template and save that document, it's called SpecificDocument.doc.
Of
course that can be changed in the file save dialog box. But for
professionalism's sake, it would be nice to get rid of that.

How can I change that to say something more generic? Or even just
Untitled-1.doc? I checked Document Properties and I see no mention of the
original filename in there. Where else could it be?

Anne Troy

I don't understand the problem, Shari. Here's what I did, in Word 2000 (you
didn't mention the version).
I saved a document as somenamehere.doc. Closed and reopened and saved as a
template. Create a new doc from it, on save, the name is somenamehere.doc.
Open the template, change the title to anothernamehere.doc, save and close.
Create a new doc from it and save, it wants to save as anothernamehere.doc.
It's not looking for the "original filename". It's looking at the Title
under File--Properties.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Shari" wrote in message
I created a template. And let's say the original document I created it
from
was called SpecificDocument.doc Now, whenever I create a new document
from
that template and save that document, it's called SpecificDocument.doc.
Of
course that can be changed in the file save dialog box. But for
professionalism's sake, it would be nice to get rid of that.

How can I change that to say something more generic? Or even just
Untitled-1.doc? I checked Document Properties and I see no mention of
the
original filename in there. Where else could it be?

Shari

My apologies. You're absolutely right. I was looking at the wrong template
which is why it wasn't showing up in the Document Properties.

Ugh.

Thanks for your help.

"Shari" wrote in message
I created a template. And let's say the original document I created it
from
was called SpecificDocument.doc Now, whenever I create a new document
from
that template and save that document, it's called SpecificDocument.doc.
Of
course that can be changed in the file save dialog box. But for
professionalism's sake, it would be nice to get rid of that.

How can I change that to say something more generic? Or even just
Untitled-1.doc? I checked Document Properties and I see no mention of
the
original filename in there. Where else could it be?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark A

This was driving me crazy. Every time I tried to save a document for the
first time, the default "save as" name was a strange document name (and the
same every time) rather than the first few words of the document being saved.
Your reply suggested to me that the solution would be to open the
"normal.dot" template, go to the properties and -- lo and behold -- there was
that strange default document name in the "name" box. I deleted it, saved
"normal.dot" and now all is well. My remaining question -- I didn't modify
"normal.dot" in the first place, so how did that strange file name get in
there?

Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Default font - possible bulletproof fix in Word 2003 [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 0 January 14th 05 09:14 PM