Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Formatting Will Not Stay

Just change the "Files of type" setting. Word will remember the last one
used.

"Ldyflyr" wrote in message
Suzanne:

I looked at your article - how do I set the File Open Dialog box back to
your suggested setting?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/RecoverText.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Bear Cupboard" Bear wrote in

message
I have an old version of Word on Windows 98. I, too, when I format my
document and close it have a similar problem when I re-open it. When I
re-open the formatting is gone. But at the bottom of my document is

the
missing formatting in words describing the format, eg. style of font,

size
of
font, also the name that I have used in the initial registration of

Word
when
I installed it. I have taken my program disk and removed the software,

then I
re-installed it, but it keeps on happening. My other programs like

Excel
and
Adobe Elements seem to be fine. Here are some examples of what is at

the
end
of my document when Word removes the formatting:
D:\Books Worksho1.doc
D:\Books Worksho1.doc
ZC:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\AutoRecoverysave of Books
Worksho1.asd
ZC:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\AutoRecovery save of Books
Worksho1.asd
ZC:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\AutoRecovery save of Books
Worksho1.asd
ZC:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\AutoRecovery save of Books
Worksho1.asd
ZC:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\AutoRecovery save of Books
Worksho1.asd
ZC:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\AutoRecovery save of Books
Worksho1.asd
D:\Books Workshop.doc
D:\Books Workshop.doc
Unknownÿ!
Times New Roman
Times New Roman
Symbol
Symbol
Bookman Old Style
Bookman Old Style
Wingdings
Wingdings
Courier New
Courier New
nu¦fnu¦flu
Workshop
Workshop
Workshop
Normal.dot
Microsoft Word 9.0
Design Studio
Workshop
Root Entry
1Table
1Table
WordDocument
WordDocument
SummaryInformation
SummaryInformation
DocumentSummaryInformation
DocumentSummaryInformation
CompObj
CompObj
ObjectPool
ObjectPool
Microsoft Word Document
MSWordDoc
Word.Document.8
======================
"Ldyflyr" wrote:

I have a Word document. I make changes to the style using the

Formatting
Styles tool. I can see the changes on my document. When I close the

document
and re-open it, the changes are not there - it reverts back to the

original
style.

Why does this happen and how can I fix it?

Thanks