Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Default symbols, fast way to find

What is the fastest way to find the requested symbols out of those tabs in
Insert/Symbols?
Without knowing to which category (Latin, Greece) the symbol belongs, I have
to go through all tabs with a see and try.
BTW I am looking for absolute symbole (A vertical line like "I")
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJBookie CJBookie is offline

During a Word class, the instructor suggested we make a Word document of the
symbols we used most. I keep this on my desktop so it is quick to access
when I need it. It has been very helpful!
--
I have a "love/hate" relationship with computers - I love them, they hate me!

"Khoshravan" wrote:

What is the fastest way to find the requested symbols out of those tabs in
Insert/Symbols?
Without knowing to which category (Latin, Greece) the symbol belongs, I have
to go through all tabs with a see and try.
BTW I am looking for absolute symbole (A vertical line like "I")
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

how do you find them for the first time? through try and error?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

"Khoshravan" wrote:

What is the fastest way to find the requested symbols out of those tabs in
Insert/Symbols?
Without knowing to which category (Latin, Greece) the symbol belongs, I have
to go through all tabs with a see and try.
BTW I am looking for absolute symbole (A vertical line like "I")
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJBookie CJBookie is offline

Unless somebody has a better suggestion, that is the way I did it. I just
took some time and found those symbols I use most and put them into the doc.
If you already have a document with many of the symbols you use, copy and
paste them from there if you think that will be faster. I know it is a pain,
but that is the best way I can think of.
--

"Khoshravan" wrote:

What is the fastest way to find the requested symbols out of those tabs in
Insert/Symbols?
Without knowing to which category (Latin, Greece) the symbol belongs, I have
to go through all tabs with a see and try.
BTW I am looking for absolute symbole (A vertical line like "I")
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For mathematical symbols, try looking in the Mathematical Operators subset.
But you should have the pipe character ("|") on your keyboard (it's a
shifted backslash on my keyboard). Unicode calls it "vertical line," and
it's at 007C. Interestingly, that character is represented on my keyboard
with U00A6 ("broken bar").

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
news
What is the fastest way to find the requested symbols out of those tabs in
Insert/Symbols?
Without knowing to which category (Latin, Greece) the symbol belongs, I

have
to go through all tabs with a see and try.
BTW I am looking for absolute symbole (A vertical line like "I")
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?S2hvc2hyYXZhbg==?=,

What is the fastest way to find the requested symbols out of those tabs in
Insert/Symbols?
Without knowing to which category (Latin, Greece) the symbol belongs, I have
to go through all tabs with a see and try.
BTW I am looking for absolute symbole (A vertical line like "I")

Another possibility besides the "source document", if you don't have a LOT of
symbols you use regularly, would be to create AutoCorrect entries. You could
name them something like symAbsolute, for example. As soon as you press the
spacebar, the symbol would be inserted.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use the Character Map that's built into Windows. First time is a pain in the
butt. After you find what you need, it's a snap to duplicate the efforts.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Khoshravan" wrote:

What is the fastest way to find the requested symbols out of those tabs
in
Insert/Symbols?
Without knowing to which category (Latin, Greece) the symbol belongs, I
have
to go through all tabs with a see and try.
BTW I am looking for absolute symbole (A vertical line like "I")
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

I have vertical line character in my keyboard left to the "BAckspace" one.
To get Unicode characters (007c) I think I have to type this code with
combination of other control key. I tried Alt, Ctrl and Shift but non of them
work. Which key combination I have to use?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

For mathematical symbols, try looking in the Mathematical Operators subset.
But you should have the pipe character ("|") on your keyboard (it's a
shifted backslash on my keyboard). Unicode calls it "vertical line," and
it's at 007C. Interestingly, that character is represented on my keyboard
with U00A6 ("broken bar").

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
news
What is the fastest way to find the requested symbols out of those tabs in
Insert/Symbols?
Without knowing to which category (Latin, Greece) the symbol belongs, I

have
to go through all tabs with a see and try.
BTW I am looking for absolute symbole (A vertical line like "I")
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can insert symbols directly from the Symbol dialog, where you can also
assign keyboard shortcuts for them. The universal keyboard shortcut for
inserting Unicode characters if you know the number is to type the number
followed by Alt+X.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

For mathematical symbols, try looking in the Mathematical Operators

subset.
But you should have the pipe character ("|") on your keyboard (it's a
shifted backslash on my keyboard). Unicode calls it "vertical line," and
it's at 007C. Interestingly, that character is represented on my

keyboard
with U00A6 ("broken bar").

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
news
What is the fastest way to find the requested symbols out of those

tabs in
Insert/Symbols?
Without knowing to which category (Latin, Greece) the symbol belongs,

have
to go through all tabs with a see and try.
BTW I am looking for absolute symbole (A vertical line like "I")
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Thanks suzanne
It worked. Where can I find a list of unicode codes for special symbols?
I think in this way I can enter my required symbols without need to go for
try and error of finding symbols.
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

For mathematical symbols, try looking in the Mathematical Operators

subset.
But you should have the pipe character ("|") on your keyboard (it's a
shifted backslash on my keyboard). Unicode calls it "vertical line," and
it's at 007C. Interestingly, that character is represented on my

keyboard
with U00A6 ("broken bar").

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
news What is the fastest way to find the requested symbols out of those

tabs in
Insert/Symbols?
Without knowing to which category (Latin, Greece) the symbol belongs,

have
to go through all tabs with a see and try.
BTW I am looking for absolute symbole (A vertical line like "I")
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Rasoul,

I have vertical line character in my keyboard left to the "BAckspace" one.
To get Unicode characters (007c) I think I have to type this code with
combination of other control key. I tried Alt, Ctrl and Shift but non of them
work. Which key combination I have to use?

After typing the code, press Alt+X to turn it into the Unicode character.