Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hgnlordowen hgnlordowen is offline

Default word opens without opening the document, like /n

It explains what is causing bfairchild problem, but it doesn't explain why
1/3 of the people I know who use Word, but not SilkTest, are having this
problem in some way or another. Since this is a public forum, rather than a
support ticket, the answer should be as complete as possible so that other
people who find this thread can get some ideas on how to solve their version
of the problem with identical symptoms, albeit perhaps with a different
cause. Especially since SilkTest appears to be a tool used by programming
quality control people, so the average Word user who comes to this thread
probably won't have SilkTest as a troubleshooting path.

As for re-installing, I noticed that I didn't have this problem on a
computer that had the default install. Then shortly after I updated to a full
install, this problem started. This was also a problem at a place I used to
work that used the full install. Since bfairchild had already uninstalled and
re-installed numerous times, I didn't suggest that he or she just do that,
but rather that if that hasn't worked for someone else who is having a
similar problem, they try a simplified install and see if that helps.

As for re-installing in general, it depends on the problem and how thorough
the uninstaller is. Default configuruations are generally as safe as it gets.
Things get crazy when people go overboard with custom configurations, or
settings from previous versions or installs get left behind, or the install
CD is dirty or scratched. Unfortunately, with the growing complexity of
software nowadays, it is hard to avoid some combination of settings that
conflicts, and with all the ways Microsoft products hide settings in various
formats all over the registry and Windows folder, Documents and Settings
folders, and across multiple folders in Program Files, many of these settings
not being available for tweaking anywhere in the product's UI, it is no
surprise that sometimes starting completely over with a new approach is the
most practical solution, though admittedly not loved by many.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

On Sep 5, 6:08 pm, hgnlordowen
wrote:
Try

Well, it's been close to three years since bfairchild announced (in a
posting of Jan 26 2007) that the problem was fixed.

Uninstall - reinstall rarely helps with a problem.