Roy Avery

Default *.TMP files

Why would Word XP create many, many *.TMP files of a document that is being worked on? By many,
many, I mean ten to twenty files. The document is accessed through a mapped drive on a server.

--
Remove "nospam_" from my email address to email me.

Jay Freedman

Roy Avery wrote:
Why would Word XP create many, many *.TMP files of a document that is
being worked on? By many, many, I mean ten to twenty files. The
document is accessed through a mapped drive on a server.

It depends partly on what you're doing with the document and what it
contains. The article at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632 explains
how Word uses temp files.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

In my experience, a new file is created each time you save, and each one is
one version back (the previous version if you don't have "Automatically
create backup" enabled, the one before that if you do). All should be
deleted when you close the document.

"Roy Avery" wrote in message
Why would Word XP create many, many *.TMP files of a document that is

being worked on? By many,
many, I mean ten to twenty files. The document is accessed through a

mapped drive on a server.

--
Remove "nospam_" from my email address to email me.

Temp files Won't Go Away June Formatting Long Documents 6 January 19th 05 04:21 PM
see copying files to cd january 11,2005 frank zangari New Users 2 January 13th 05 04:09 PM
Deleting Files erika Microsoft Word Help 1 January 11th 05 04:22 AM
Duplicate Files John Flatley New Users 1 December 22nd 04 08:17 AM
RECOVER Temp FILES from CD-RW Kimla Microsoft Word Help 0 December 6th 04 02:59 PM