Jim

Default Please help with file labels

I am a previous WP user, and so I have some bad(!) habits. I have never used
Mail Merge, but everyone keeps telling me that in Word I shouldn't enter my
data directly into labels, but should do a merge from a data table.

I have constructed a Word document that contains a Word 4x4 table. (The
table will get bigger once I understand this.) Within each cell, the data is
centered and top aligned. Some cells have one row of data, some two rows.

I need to print the data on Avery #5267 labels (which I found in the
Envelopes and Labels dialogue box. Now, however, I am lost. How do I tell
Word to take my table and merge it into labels? I know I'm asking a huge
question, so I will be very appreciative of any help you can offer. (I've
tried Word's online Help menu and I'm either looking in the worng place, or I
just can't understand what it is telling me to do.)
Thanks.
--
Jim
Anne Troy

Your first mistake, Jim:
Some cells have one row of data, some two rows.

Don't do that. If you have 2 rows in some cells, then make an extra column.
For instance, if you have 2-line addresses, put the 2nd line in a column
titled Address2.

Get your data right before you begin:
Row 1 is headings only
Row 2 is your first label's data
Row 3 is your second label's data, and so on...

Always, always, always provide a version when you ask a questions. It saves
all of us some time. If you are using Word 2000 or less, here's mail merge:
http://www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm#MailMerge

If you are using 2002 or 2003, then here's mail merge:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/m...osoft_word.htm

Good luck!!
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Robbins

See the article "How to create a Mail Merge" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...AMailMerge.htm

and "Creating a Mail Merge Data Source" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...DataSource.htm

and, if you are using XP of later, just as well to see the article
"Mailmerge Labels with Word XP" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Jim

Thanks Anne.

I apologize for not telling you my version. I know how important that is,
and I always include the information, but forgot this time. Anyhow, I am
presently using Office 2000, but I have ordered Office 2003 and UPS should
deliver it by the middle of the coming week.

Nonetheless, the information you provided has already helped my
understanding. I will rework my database per your instructions, then go to
the website you provided and see how I get along. I may be back with another
question if I get too confused.

Thanks again for the help.

p.s. I probably will wait until I am using 2003, as it sounds like there is
a considerable difference in how the Mial Merge is done in the new version.
--
Jim

Your first mistake, Jim:

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Anne Troy

Yes, Jim, there is. But I run BOTH versions and use 2000 whenever I can
because pretty much everyone hates 2002 and up when it comes to mail merge.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Your first mistake, Jim:

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Jim

Anne: I know this is off subject for this forum, but I am wondering about
your comment concerning the different versions of Word.

Since I have Word as part of Office 2000, when I install Office 2003 is
there any way for me to keep Word 2000 on my hard drive so both versions are
available? I assume I would have to extract the Word files separate from the
rest of the Office suite upon installation, but am not sure if that's
possible.

Thanks for your help.
--
Jim

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Your first mistake, Jim:

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Anne Troy

You bet. And as a matter of fact, I encourage it. And it's not "too"
off-topic! Follow the directions he
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/b...oft_office.htm
(I have lots of Office answers there--tons of the commonly asked
questions--you might want to do a search before you bother posting and
waiting.)
Hope it helps, Jim!
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Your first mistake, Jim:

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Graham Mayor

Unlike Anne, I don't encourage it. There are differences between the mail
merge options and 2000 was easier to use, but all is not lost.
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm will have you
working with 2003 more or less the same as before.

The only reason I can see for having both versions is if you are providing
support for both versions of Word - and even then I personally would isolate
them from one another by using separate operating systems for at the very
least the each version will attempt to alter the registry to accommodate its
own file associations. However, as Anne indicates running both is possible.
The more pertinent question might be whether there is sufficient extra in
Word 2003 for your requirements to justify the upgrade.

"Jim" wrote in message
Thanks Anne.

I apologize for not telling you my version. I know how important
that is, and I always include the information, but forgot this
time. Anyhow, I am presently using Office 2000, but I have ordered
Office 2003 and UPS should deliver it by the middle of the coming
week.

Nonetheless, the information you provided has already helped my
understanding. I will rework my database per your instructions,
then go to the website you provided and see how I get along. I may
be back with another question if I get too confused.

Thanks again for the help.

p.s. I probably will wait until I am using 2003, as it sounds like
there is a considerable difference in how the Mial Merge is done in
the new version. --
Jim

Your first mistake, Jim:

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Anne Troy

Too late, I figure. He already ordered it. I'd have said the same. Also,
when I switch from one version to the other, I get the message about
"configuring...", which I just cancel out of (and it works without any
problems, tho it indicates it might not) unless I'm working on a big
project, then I let it configure the version, just in case.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jim" wrote in message
Thanks Anne.

I apologize for not telling you my version. I know how important
that is, and I always include the information, but forgot this
time. Anyhow, I am presently using Office 2000, but I have ordered
Office 2003 and UPS should deliver it by the middle of the coming
week.

Nonetheless, the information you provided has already helped my
understanding. I will rework my database per your instructions,
then go to the website you provided and see how I get along. I may
be back with another question if I get too confused.

Thanks again for the help.

p.s. I probably will wait until I am using 2003, as it sounds like
there is a considerable difference in how the Mial Merge is done in
the new version. --
Jim

Your first mistake, Jim: