Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2003 Selecting text

Is there a way to select text by searching from the point at the beginning of
a section you want to select to a specific word several pages later, using
the find feature (like in the old Wordperfect)?

thanks, JF
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Other than Edit - Find?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"removing all headers and footers"
t.com wrote in message
news
Is there a way to select text by searching from the point at the beginning
of
a section you want to select to a specific word several pages later, using
the find feature (like in the old Wordperfect)?

thanks, JF

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I'm not familiar with WP, but in Word you can simply use Ctrl+F (Find), type
the word and select Find and if it hits an incorrect occurrence, then keep
press Find Next until you get to it.

Is that what you need or do you want something sophisticated that will jump
straight to the correct occurrence of the word.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"removing all headers and footers"
t.com wrote in message
news
Is there a way to select text by searching from the point at the beginning
of
a section you want to select to a specific word several pages later, using
the find feature (like in the old Wordperfect)?

thanks, JF

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Hi, I want to select a passage from a long document to cut and paste. I know
how to search for a word, but how do I do that within the selection option?

I do not want to scroll across many pages, but seek to find the ending word
of the selection I want to cut and paste while that section stays blocked for
cutting. Thanks, JF

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Other than Edit - Find?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"removing all headers and footers"
t.com wrote in message
news
Is there a way to select text by searching from the point at the beginning
of
a section you want to select to a specific word several pages later, using
the find feature (like in the old Wordperfect)?

thanks, JF

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:33:00 -0800, removing all headers and footers
t.com wrote:

Is there a way to select text by searching from the point at the beginning of
a section you want to select to a specific word several pages later, using
the find feature (like in the old Wordperfect)?

thanks, JF

First press F8 to turn on Extend mode. Then use the Find (Ctrl+F) dialog. Press
Esc to exit the Extend mode.

In Word 2003 and earlier, the letters EXT appear black instead of gray on the
status bar when Extend mode is turned on (and you can toggle the mode by
double-clicking those letters instead of pressing F8). In Word 2007, you have to
right-click the status bar and click "Selection mode" to make the notification
visible.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Note that if the 'selection' ends in a punctuation, you can turn on Extend
Select followed by the punctuation: for example, press F8 followed by a ,
will select from the insertion point to the next occurrence of a comma. But
also notice that using multiple F8s takes you through a sequence of extended
selections:

F8+F8 selects the current word or the word to the right of the insertion
point
plus F8 selects to the end of sentence
plus F8 selects to the end of paragraph
plus F8 selects to the end of section (or document if only single section)
plus F8 selects to the end of the document (including the final para mark)

Terry

t.com wrote:

[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Hi, those are great tips, wow, MANY thanks to you all.

Word help does not bring these up? I have learned much from this. JF

t.com wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Of course, I forgot one more extend choice too.

If you press F8 + ,. it selects from the insertion to the next comma. If you
press comma again, it will extend to the next comma and so on until it finds
the last comma in the document. Or you can change the character so that the
selection continues to the next occurrence of the new character. It is very
versatile.

Terry

t.com wrote:

[...]

newsgroup