Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner

Default How Come?

Using Office 2003 all patches. I run a mailmerge using Excel as the data
source, and was wondering why every time I open my merge document I receive
the following message:

Opening this document will run the following SQL command:
SELECT * FROM `NominalRoll$`
Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you want to
continue?

When I select yes I still have to go looking for the NominalRoll.xls file
You would think that once you did an initial merge it would remember where
the file was located.

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

You've probably seen the following article befo...

While there may be some other workaround for this problem, I suggest you
e-mail and ask that they fix this, saying that from
your perspective,
a. all you are trying to do is use a simple data source
b. all that SQL command stuff is something Microsoft does internally and
perhaps if that is the way they insist on doing it, they could hide it from
you more effectively, not least because you never actually asked their
software to "run an SQL command"
c. could they please fix it so that you can do what you want without facing
the kind of barrage of questions you usually only face when asking about
software, trying to leave/enter the country, or at a supermarket checkout
(sorry, I'm rambling:-))

Peter Jamieson
"Michael Koerner" wrote in message
Using Office 2003 all patches. I run a mailmerge using Excel as the data
source, and was wondering why every time I open my merge document I
receive
the following message:

Opening this document will run the following SQL command:
SELECT * FROM `NominalRoll$`
Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you want to
continue?

When I select yes I still have to go looking for the NominalRoll.xls file
You would think that once you did an initial merge it would remember where
the file was located.

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner

Peter;

Thanks very much. Now how do I make it stop asking me for the Excel file
after I have once ran the merge and saved all the files?

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
| You've probably seen the following article befo...
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;825765
|
| While there may be some other workaround for this problem, I suggest you
| e-mail and ask that they fix this, saying that from
| your perspective,
| a. all you are trying to do is use a simple data source
| b. all that SQL command stuff is something Microsoft does internally and
| perhaps if that is the way they insist on doing it, they could hide it
from
| you more effectively, not least because you never actually asked their
| software to "run an SQL command"
| c. could they please fix it so that you can do what you want without
facing
| the kind of barrage of questions you usually only face when asking about
| software, trying to leave/enter the country, or at a supermarket checkout
| (sorry, I'm rambling:-))
|
| Peter Jamieson
| "Michael Koerner" wrote in message
| Using Office 2003 all patches. I run a mailmerge using Excel as the data
| source, and was wondering why every time I open my merge document I
| receive
| the following message:
|
| Opening this document will run the following SQL command:
| SELECT * FROM `NominalRoll$`
| Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you want
| continue?
|
| When I select yes I still have to go looking for the NominalRoll.xls
file
| You would think that once you did an initial merge it would remember
where
| the file was located.
|
| --
|
| Regards
| Michael Koerner

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Here, once I have made the change to the registry in the article I referred
to, I don't see the question again. If I don't make the change, I always see
the question.

I'm not sure exactly what you are doing but in an attempt to replicate "ran
the merge and save all the files" I ran a merge, outputting to a new
document, saved and closed the new document and the mail merge main
document, then re-opened the mail merge main document. No questions,
connection was fine. This is Word 2003, also up to date as far as I know.
What's happening with your copy of Word?

Peter Jamieson

"Michael Koerner" wrote in message
Peter;

Thanks very much. Now how do I make it stop asking me for the Excel file
after I have once ran the merge and saved all the files?

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
| You've probably seen the following article befo...
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;825765
|
| While there may be some other workaround for this problem, I suggest you
| e-mail and ask that they fix this, saying that from
| your perspective,
| a. all you are trying to do is use a simple data source
| b. all that SQL command stuff is something Microsoft does internally and
| perhaps if that is the way they insist on doing it, they could hide it
from
| you more effectively, not least because you never actually asked their
| software to "run an SQL command"
| c. could they please fix it so that you can do what you want without
facing
| the kind of barrage of questions you usually only face when asking about
| software, trying to leave/enter the country, or at a supermarket
checkout
| (sorry, I'm rambling:-))
|
| Peter Jamieson
| "Michael Koerner" wrote in message
| Using Office 2003 all patches. I run a mailmerge using Excel as the
data
| source, and was wondering why every time I open my merge document I
| receive
| the following message:
|
| Opening this document will run the following SQL command:
| SELECT * FROM `NominalRoll$`
| Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you
want
| continue?
|
| When I select yes I still have to go looking for the NominalRoll.xls
file
| You would think that once you did an initial merge it would remember
where
| the file was located.
|
| --
|
| Regards
| Michael Koerner

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Koerner

After changing the registry, I no longer see the question true. But, I still
have to navigate to the data source and select it before the
document/template whatever opens

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
| Here, once I have made the change to the registry in the article I
referred
| to, I don't see the question again. If I don't make the change, I always
see
| the question.
|
| I'm not sure exactly what you are doing but in an attempt to replicate
"ran
| the merge and save all the files" I ran a merge, outputting to a new
| document, saved and closed the new document and the mail merge main
| document, then re-opened the mail merge main document. No questions,
| connection was fine. This is Word 2003, also up to date as far as I know.
| What's happening with your copy of Word?
|
| Peter Jamieson
|
| "Michael Koerner" wrote in message
| Peter;
|
| Thanks very much. Now how do I make it stop asking me for the Excel file
| after I have once ran the merge and saved all the files?
|
| --
|
| Regards
| Michael Koerner
|

| "Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
| | You've probably seen the following article befo...
| |
| | http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;825765
| |
| | While there may be some other workaround for this problem, I suggest
you
| | e-mail and ask that they fix this, saying that
from
| | your perspective,
| | a. all you are trying to do is use a simple data source
| | b. all that SQL command stuff is something Microsoft does internally
and
| | perhaps if that is the way they insist on doing it, they could hide it
| from
| | you more effectively, not least because you never actually asked their
| | software to "run an SQL command"
| | c. could they please fix it so that you can do what you want without
| facing
| | the kind of barrage of questions you usually only face when asking
about
| | software, trying to leave/enter the country, or at a supermarket
| checkout
| | (sorry, I'm rambling:-))
| |
| | Peter Jamieson
| | "Michael Koerner" wrote in message
| | Using Office 2003 all patches. I run a mailmerge using Excel as the
| data
| | source, and was wondering why every time I open my merge document I
| | receive
| | the following message:
| |
| | Opening this document will run the following SQL command:
| | SELECT * FROM `NominalRoll$`
| | Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you
| want
| | continue?
| |
| | When I select yes I still have to go looking for the NominalRoll.xls
| file
| | You would think that once you did an initial merge it would remember
| where
| | the file was located.
| |
| | --
| |
| | Regards
| | Michael Koerner
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

document/template whatever opens

1. Are you creating your mail merges from a template that's attached to the
data source?

if so, that could be the source of the problem, since Word seems to keep the
template's connection open (it didn't used to) and sometimes the connection
is excusive. I haven't checked in this particular case, but maybe you could
have a look, and if that's what you're doing, either disconnect the template
from the data source or create a new template that's not connected to a data
source and try that.

2. Are you applying any sorts, filters or selections to the Data Source (via
"Mail Merge Recipients") before closing your document?

I'm about to sign off for today...

Peter Jamieson
"Michael Koerner" wrote in message
After changing the registry, I no longer see the question true. But, I
still
have to navigate to the data source and select it before the
document/template whatever opens

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
| Here, once I have made the change to the registry in the article I
referred
| to, I don't see the question again. If I don't make the change, I always
see
| the question.
|
| I'm not sure exactly what you are doing but in an attempt to replicate
"ran
| the merge and save all the files" I ran a merge, outputting to a new
| document, saved and closed the new document and the mail merge main
| document, then re-opened the mail merge main document. No questions,
| connection was fine. This is Word 2003, also up to date as far as I
know.
| What's happening with your copy of Word?
|
| Peter Jamieson
|
| "Michael Koerner" wrote in message
| Peter;
|
| Thanks very much. Now how do I make it stop asking me for the Excel
file
| after I have once ran the merge and saved all the files?
|
| --
|
| Regards
| Michael Koerner
|

| "Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
| | You've probably seen the following article befo...
| |
| | http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;825765
| |
| | While there may be some other workaround for this problem, I suggest
you
| | e-mail and ask that they fix this, saying that
from
| | your perspective,
| | a. all you are trying to do is use a simple data source
| | b. all that SQL command stuff is something Microsoft does internally
and
| | perhaps if that is the way they insist on doing it, they could hide
it
| from
| | you more effectively, not least because you never actually asked
their
| | software to "run an SQL command"
| | c. could they please fix it so that you can do what you want without
| facing
| | the kind of barrage of questions you usually only face when asking
about
| | software, trying to leave/enter the country, or at a supermarket
| checkout
| | (sorry, I'm rambling:-))
| |
| | Peter Jamieson
| | "Michael Koerner" wrote in message
| | Using Office 2003 all patches. I run a mailmerge using Excel as
the
| data
| | source, and was wondering why every time I open my merge document
| | receive
| | the following message:
| |
| | Opening this document will run the following SQL command:
| | SELECT * FROM `NominalRoll$`
| | Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you
| want
| | continue?
| |
| | When I select yes I still have to go looking for the
NominalRoll.xls
| file
| | You would think that once you did an initial merge it would
remember
| where
| | the file was located.
| |